Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #1 
SaylorKennedy

Yikes, algae.

So I woke up this morning and there were 2 different growths in my 10 gallon that weren't there the night before.
The first one was a white, hairy stringy looking algae. It looked slimey too. Then the second kind was brown and it was on the glass and plants. It wiped right off though.

The tank gets 8 hours of light a day, and I do weekly water changes of 15%. I would test the water but I gave my brother my testing kit since he's cycling his new tank.
It has 1 betta, fake plastic plants, 2 plastic decorations, rocks, and play sand.

Any thoughts?
I took Chance out of the tank and set up my old 2 gallon for him until I get it straightened out, and I did a large water change.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

that brown algae is called diatom algae, it usually happens in newly setup tanks and is easily wiped off, otos love it though..........it will usually go away on its own once the tank is fully established

theres many thoughts on the white type algae......but otos will eat it....perhaps post it in another part of the forum, i havent seen any answers here to that
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #3 
doggyhog

Get a few otos... :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 
kelly528

Diatoms (brown algae) have shells made out of silica. Guess what is leaching from the glass and sealant for the first few months you run a new aquarium? Silica. The brown algae usually die off after all the silica is leached out, but until then I wouldn't change a thing about your routine. The only thing you can really do is manually clean it or stock a few ottos.

The white algae.... is it growing on plastic/rubbery things in the tank, eg suction cups and heater brackets? If so, don't worry about it. Lots of people get it, but nobody seems to know what it is. I believe it leeches out from the plastic. Just clean it thoroughly whenever it builds up and in a month or so it will stop growing back.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote