I am hoping that you can provide me with some urgent advice on how to deal with ammonia. I purchased 3 bettas 6 weeks ago for my young daughters and sadly we lost two of them on the weekend. The third has somehow managed to survive! I don't know how!!!
Anyway, we took a sample of the water to the pet store who tested it for us and advised us that there was an extremely high level of ammonia in the tanks, hence why we probably lost our fish.
So I have purchased an ammonia testing kit and the relevant product to treat ammonia. I have taken the sick fish out of the tank and placed in it clean water and proceeded to test it over the last 3 days.
Despite treating the water with ammonia product everyday as suggested on the bottle due to the presence of ammonia and replacing half the water and using the relevant conditioner, I am still getting a deadly reading of ammonia in the tank.
The fish is not overfed and there is no uneaten food remaining in the tank.
I am now really confused as to what to do next because I have also been advised not to do a complete water change.
Can anyone assist me? What do I do?