Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2009, 12:50 AM   #1 
nesandmark

Unhappy How do I deal with Ammonia?

Hi Guys,

I am hoping that you can provide me with some urgent advice on how to deal with ammonia. I purchased 3 bettas 6 weeks ago for my young daughters and sadly we lost two of them on the weekend. The third has somehow managed to survive! I don't know how!!!

Anyway, we took a sample of the water to the pet store who tested it for us and advised us that there was an extremely high level of ammonia in the tanks, hence why we probably lost our fish.

So I have purchased an ammonia testing kit and the relevant product to treat ammonia. I have taken the sick fish out of the tank and placed in it clean water and proceeded to test it over the last 3 days.

Despite treating the water with ammonia product everyday as suggested on the bottle due to the presence of ammonia and replacing half the water and using the relevant conditioner, I am still getting a deadly reading of ammonia in the tank.

The fish is not overfed and there is no uneaten food remaining in the tank.

I am now really confused as to what to do next because I have also been advised not to do a complete water change.

Can anyone assist me? What do I do?
nesandmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 12:55 AM   #2 
TigerLily

You could keep up with partial water changes to get the ammonia under control. How big is the tank? If you're cycling the tank, you don't really need to change 100% of the water.

Last edited by TigerLily; 11-25-2009 at 12:58 AM.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:08 AM   #3 
nesandmark

You will really have to excuse my ignorance with this because I purchased these fish being told they were foolproof and easy to look after!

WHat is cycling the water?

The normal tank they are in is 2 litres (I am from Oz so not sure what the conversion would be). However, at the moment I have this fish in a small plastic bowl, approx 1 litre, as it was not swimming and I thought it would help it recover if in a shallower tank.

I also purchased another water conditioner type treatment that was recommended by a man at the pet store who has kept betas for years. I have made up a bucket of water using his recommendations and it is ammonia free. Would it be safe for me to put the fish in this water or would it upset it given it was 100% water change.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #4 
TigerLily

No worries! We all take up this hobby while learning.
Here is an article that will explain in detail what the cycling process is:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ium-cycle-252/

According to Google at a quick look, 2 liters is equal to about a a half a gallon. That size is really too small to properly cycle, so I would think that 100% water changes would be needed in order to really keep the ammonia safe.
When keeping my bettas in smaller containers, I would do 100% water changes twice a week or so.
Just be sure that the new water is the same temperature and that you use a water conditioner to remove anything harmful that might be in your local water.

Last edited by TigerLily; 11-25-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 AM   #5 
nesandmark

Thank you!

I have transferred him into the new water and he seems to be happy. I want to get this sorted out becaus we have fallen in love with these little guys and we need to learn how to look after them properly. I don't want to kill anymore but we desperately wnat to get some more
Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #6 
TigerLily

Glad to hear that he seems to be doing good! Keep an eye on your ammonia tests for a few days and you'll get the feel for how often your water changes should be.
That's terrific that you care so much about them. It's a great hobby! These fish are so much fun to watch and take care of, and they have great little personalities. You'll find lots of great ideas and advice from the others around this forum.

Welcome, welcome!
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Try testing a sample of tap water for ammonia. I would recommend using Prime water conditioner because it neutralizes ammonia in tap water. I found that my water has ammonia in it so I switched water conditioners. I now use Prime.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

i agree with dramaqueen, my tap water has ammonia too

stay on top of your water changes!

welcome to the forum and your new addiction! lol
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, water change