Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 06:29 PM   #1 
outbreakmagnetta

New to Bettas

So i have never owned a fish. I have cats and a dog, ive always wanted fish but i just never got them. I been following what petsmart and a few others told me.
I bought a 1 gallon tank, some marbles for the bottom, a statue inside so it can float in and around, a silk plant, and a white ribbon plant.

Its unfiltered and in my room it stays 68-75 degrees in the tank.

Ive been feeding it omega one natural protien formula betta flakes.

But every sense i got my betta (2 weeks ago) it doesnt seem to wait for the food or try to get it at the top, i notice ti watchs the food fall and it catchs it sometimes. But i was told they grab it while it floats in the top of the water.

I changed his food from the stuff i got with the tank that was recommanded, ti had blood warms in it?
Its called Nutrafin Max
Betta color enhancing flakes?
But he doesnt seem to go after any food i got him so far? Should i keep on trying?

Also he seems scared of me, my friend says try playing with him, like placing finger gently on the glass and it should follow it. But he just swims behind the plant and hides. guess hes not warmed up to me?

I bought the fish i was most attrached to, more or less. But i think his tail is damaged, (fin or w.e <_< lol) it doesnt stay all fluffed out and straight most the time? Or am i just to worried?

He blows bubbles and swims around alot, I was told i should get him a bigger tank? But he seems to enjoy what he has now.

So only things i want to really know are (summary)
1) is the tank big enough (1 gal)

2) do i HAVE to get a filtered tank?

3) should i still buy a heater for it even thou its staying in the recommended temperature

4)Am i worrying to much about its food sense its not grabbing it as soon as i place it, and theirs alot left over usually.Should i change his food agian and see if he likes something else more?

5)Plant is making water cloudy, doing 10% water changes a day. Is that right to do or should i try another plant?

6) 100% water changes once a week and Keep my Grump in old water he was in till i replace and clean the water for his tank.

sorry if this is long.. got alot of questions and i worry to much as it is <_<

EDIT: Info i feel that i might need to add
I feed him twice a day, few flakes (doesnt eat all of them)
I use a Water treatment Nutrafin betta+ for the water when i change it.
I only have ONE Betta Male, His name is Grump :D

HOPE these pictures arent to big!!
When i first got him

Few days later(late at night)

Few days ago(Mid Afternoon)

Last edited by outbreakmagnetta; 01-06-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: New info and Pictures
outbreakmagnetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:24 PM   #2 
finn17

IMO I think it's fine. Some people think you need a bigger tank but as long as they're happy why not :P I have a one gal too and my fish seems to enjoy it. I just came home to a bubble nest today :)
No, you do not need a filtered tank. You just don't have to change the water as much
3) should i still buy a heater for it even thou its staying in the recommended temperature
I think it'd better if you do get one just because the temperature changes at night time and all.
4)Am i worrying to much about its food sense its not grabbing it as soon as i place it, and theirs alot left over usually.Should i change his food agian and see if he likes something else more?
Hmm maybe your betta doesn't like flakes? Most bettas don't, maybe offer him pellets :)
5)Plant is making water cloudy, doing 10% water changes a day. Is that right to do or should i try another plant?
If your plant is plastic or silk it shouldn't make your water cloudy. Whenever you do 100% water changes it's normally for the water to be bubbly for awhile
6) 100% water changes once a week and Keep my Grump in old water he was in till i replace and clean the water for his tank.
That's what I do !

I just got my betta 2 months ago but I hope I helped :)
finn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:29 PM   #3 
outbreakmagnetta

u did, but the plant is REAL. i have one real, and one silk. it seems to enjoy the real one more. so might buy another.
im just worrying, hoping im taking care of it even thou it feels like i am.

i mean at night, the water drops to like.. 65ish? but my friend says its good still

ALSO

SHOULD I KEEP a light on him at day time and turn it off at night?
was i was told by petsmart. but i read tht they enjoy the dark to. so is the light bad?
Old 01-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #4 
finn17

Ooh I'm not sure then since I have fake ones.

Yeah he'll be okay but he won't exactly thrive either I guess?

No you don't have to. I just let it be and I think he's gotten used to day time and night time because he sleeps whenever it's dark out haha. Bettas need to be in the dark for awhile, so you'd have to turn off the light for a few hours if you do choose to get one
finn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:46 PM   #5 
Galaxy

Wellll....
You can keep him in the 1 gallon tank, but he'd probably be happier in a bigger tank.

Like someone else said, it might be good to try pellets.

With such a small tank, you'll have to change the water all the time (more thank once a week). :/ Might be better to just invest in a bigger tank with a filter. Helps keep the water in good condition.

Not sure about the live plant. I just have silk ones.

A heater would definitely be a good idea! It's good to keep the water temperature at a steady temperature. 75-80 degrees is best. Imagine you being in a house where the temperature goes up and down 10 degrees. Your fish will be even more sensitive than a human. ^^

Something that might make him feel better is a home where he can hide in. There are lots of caves/ornaments at the pet store, or you could get a little pot or something to put in there. Just make sure it isn't rough/sharp and there aren't any holes he could get stuck in.

If nothing else helps, he may be sick?

Note: you don't /have/ to do the above things. But, it's worth a try? I'm not really sure what else to do though. :/
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #6 
outbreakmagnetta

yea imma buy him a little hiding spot. :3 already had that planned
like, i dont have much room in my room for a bigger tank. Like no where to put it besides the floor, and we have cats and i know if i left the tank out there room mate wouldnt watch out for the cats <_<
i might try browsing. any recommands for a bigger tank with heaters and stuffs? links be awesomee :D
Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #7 
Aus

The light will help your live plant healthy. Turning it off at night is important so the betta can rest.

What dechlorinator are you using?

Personally, I prefer 3 gallon minimum.. yeah, 1 g is okay.

Nope. But then you -have- to have a good water change schedule. 50% on Wednesday, 100% Sunday is what I do on my small unfiltered tanks.

But it isn't.. you say in your post the temp drops overnight, and that's the problem. 75F -steady- is a little low, but fine. It's the drop to colder at night that will run your fish's health down and might make it sick. Heater is essential.And what about winter/cold snaps?

Bettas can live for -weeks- without food (if they have to..) and really only need a few pellets a day to thrive. If you have leftover food, you are feeding too much.

eta: And its important to never feed until the fish stops eating.. they will literally eat themselves to death. Two, three small pellets twice a day is well and truly enough. Pellet food is WAY better than flake,and you can control the amount.

It will also be the cause of that cloudy water as it rots and creates ammonia. This -will- make your fish ill, eventually. I would do 100% water change (put your fish in a little tank water in a covered cup that is rinsed 10 times (or never washed with soap) and rinse the whole tank out. Refill with water at room temp, make sure you add dechlorinator drops. Add a little new water from the tank every five mins to the cup for half an hour, then put fishy back in.

Then feed him only as much he -will- eat, even if it's a tiny amount. Don't over-feed. Use a turkey baster to remove uneaten food.

No, it isn't. It's the uneaten food.

In a small, unfiltered bowl I would do 50% on Wednesday and 100% Sunday with a good gravel swish. And yup, cup him in old water (as I said above).

And don't worry if he's not friendly yet - if he's new, that'll be why. He's probably a bit chilly and has a bit of ammonia in the tank from the food.. Warm him up, clean him up and I bet he perks up just fine.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Aus; 01-06-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #8 
outbreakmagnetta

What dechlorinator are you using?

Nutrafin Betta Plus?
What i was given at petsmart for it. lol

But it isn't.. you say in your post the temp drops overnight, and that's the problem. 75F -steady- is a little low, but fine. It's the drop to colder at night that will run your fish's health down and might make it sick. Heater is essential.And what about winter/cold snaps?

I ment like.. i heard that 70-80 is the required? or was it 75-85? blah cant remember
i ment like it wasnt dropping down at night to like 50-60ish lol
i have a furance running all night and it keeps the house the tempature it does during the day.

Last edited by outbreakmagnetta; 01-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:56 PM   #9 
Aus

Ooh okay, sorry, I misread you. If your house is at 76-78F ALL the time, every day of the year, then that's probably fine.

A little aquarium thermometer in the tank will help you keep track of the temp. If it does happen to fluctuate now and then, a heater would still be a good idea.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 AM   #10 
outbreakmagnetta

Yea ill check them out. do bigger tanks come with heater and stuff? might check em out. thinking of buying a 2gallon or so. maybe a 3