Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM   #1 
newtobettas

Fish-In Cycle

I am doing my first fish-in cycle. I've finally seen a reading for Nitrate today. It is not significant the water is just slightly pinkish when I test it. It's less than the smallest number on the colour chart. I also have small readings for Ammonia and Nitrite. Should I change the water now? Or should I wait a day or two? I'm not sure if, now with the appearance of Nitrate, the Ammonia and Nitrite will "go away" on their own or if I should keep doing water changes until I get a zero reading. I did my last 50% water change 6 days ago. My betta is in a 10 gallon tank.
newtobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 AM   #2 
rickey
Banned

As long as you can keep ammonia and nitrites at or below .5 ppm your OK, be it with water changes or an ammonia binder like Seachem's Prime. The ultimate consideration is the health of the livestock, so water changes at .5 ppm.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #3 
newtobettas

Thanks for your help.
newtobettas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle tank with fish in, nitrate readings, water change