Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #1 
Elaina

Thumbs down Meijer's Bettas

So I had no idea that meijer's sold bettas until someone on here mentioned it. So I decided that I would stop by there today and see what their selection looked like, and I was absolutely DISGUSTED with the conditions of their bettas. It looked like the cups hadn't been cleaned in weeks, some of them were so full of algae and poop that you couldn't even see the betta! Several had advanced cases of fin rot, and there was one that had a massive tumor/hole on top of its head!
Apparently they had ordered too many or something, as there was a sticky note stating "We have too many bettas, don't order anymore!!!!"
I actually got pissed off and went over to the nearest employee and told them how disgusting it was, they seemed embarassed and said they didn't know who was supposed to take care of them. UGH!!
Here are some pics of this madness!
Attached Images

Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #2 
New2Betas

Yep, its the same at they Meijer here too. And why cant they fill the cups up all the way!!?!?!
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #3 
Elaina

I almost opened a bottle of water conditioner and started changing the cups myself.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:32 PM   #4 
New2Betas

I've been really tempted to do that too. I dont know how 1/2 those bettas are even alive. They must be magic bettas, lol. I hate to see the ones with huge holes in their fins. I almost want to say , if your not going to take care of them, and they are going to die anyway, why not just give them to me to care for.

Which Meijer were you at?
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:35 PM   #5 
Elaina

I almost was gonna ask them if I could have one or two for free(just gonna end up losing their money when they die there), but I just do not have the space for anymore bettas.
I was at the one in Geneva, IL. The rest of their fish section was pretty decent, they were a bit overcrowded in the tanks, but I didn't see any sick or dead ones.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

Geez! I've been tempted to change water when I've seen some bad conditions. I'm sure I'd get yelled at though. :/
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Eeewww..... my petco is almost this bad... not the algae though! I would have been really mad at them too.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #8 
MidnightAngel

That's what the pet store was like where I got Peaches, I actually asked the owner to clean the cups so I could at least see them...figured he'd take that excuse lol He was too busy, but told me I could...so I did I went back the other night and there were no bettas at all...I hope they sold...
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #9 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Betas View Post
I've been really tempted to do that too. I dont know how 1/2 those bettas are even alive. They must be magic bettas, lol. I hate to see the ones with huge holes in their fins. I almost want to say , if your not going to take care of them, and they are going to die anyway, why not just give them to me to care for.

Which Meijer were you at?

Actually, this is sometimes possible. In fact it is probably the best way to go about getting a pet-store betta without encouraging them to keep bettas like that by paying them for it. If you find one that has a disease eg fin rot, take it to a manager and explain the situation, why you refuse to pay full price for it and why it won't sell. They may 'surrender' them animal to you... I mean what are they supposed to do? Tell you they would rather keep it here to die? Lie to you and tell you they will medicate? They need to keep customers coming back.

Most large pet stores are reimbursed by the fish farms for all the fish that die on or shortly after arrival, so if they give the fish away because it is unmerchandisable it's not their loss.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:16 PM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

so sad, but you see these conditions all the time
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote