Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2009, 07:39 PM   #11 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I'm so sorry for you. I know it must be frustrating not to know what the cause of your fish deaths are. I also know you've tried everything possible to get to the bottom of it.

Vaygirl is right - you gave them a much better life than what they would have had without you.

Hug to you.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #12 
fishyinpa

Thanks guys. I dunno are they better here? Theyd die in those lil cups anyways...I kinda feel like here is just as bad. I just changed the water in the tank. Reba is just kinda laying there. She tries to swim around,but seems to be having trouble with that. Fishy 2 seems fine. But we all know that doesnt mean anything around here. *sigh*
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #13 
CodeRed

I'm sorry, and yes you did give them a better life. While with you, they were given love and attention, while at a pet store they would've been picked up, shaken, tossed around, and left to die if no one else found them. Don't doubt what I say, too, since I've seen it before. They were very lucky to find someone who obviously cares very much about them.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #14 
fishyinpa

Thanks CodeRed. :)
Old 11-26-2009, 03:00 AM   #15 
Gravemind123

One thing to remember is that they definitely were better with you, they wouldn't have lasted long in those horrible conditions the pet store kept them in, and that time would have been in horrible conditions. Even if their time with you was short, they were in a good environment for them and didn't have to die in those tiny bowls.

It might be best to take a break from bettas for now, maybe try again from a different pet store in a few months or a year?
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:04 AM   #16 
fishyinpa

I think and alot here on the forum agree,has to be my tap water thats the problem. Nothing else makes sense. I mean its too coincidental to get that many sick bettas and have them die so soon right?? The other thing is...I have other fish...(see in my sig lol) and they have no problems in my water. They seem to be thriving quite well. Some even spawned!! So...something in the water is very bad for bettas but just great for other fish. My water is very soft,low gh/kh and neutral pH. So maybe thats a bad combo for them at least.

And thank you Gravemind. I appreciate that and all of you guys support. This is a great forum and I did learn alot despite everything.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #17 
fishyinpa

well honestly I think now its something with this tank. Before I moved everyone in,they were fine. No signs of illness. Put them in it,and they are dropping like flies. The only thing the tank was used before was a hamster. But i cleaned with hot water and vinegar rinsing many many times. Did the whole process a couple times in fact. So i dunno what it could be. But I am going to take out the two bettas and put them in smaller tanks. As Fishy 2 is now starting to show signs of something wrong. All i have been doing is changing water. So yeah. Reba is still hanging on but barely. Poor girl.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #18 
Gravemind123

If it is your tap water, you could buy bottled water in large quantities and then add conditioner to that and use it, the problem is that will be expensive, although you may be able to find some sort of way of filtering the tap water that could potentially help remove contaminants.
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote