Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2014, 03:48 AM   #1 
HelplesslyHuman

My Betta Tsumi (or, We've Come A Long Way)

I love animals, but I hate pets. They smell bad, they poop everywhere, you have to figure out a sitter if you're traveling... bleh no thanks. So I thought I would get a fish instead, a living thing to keep and enjoy without all that hassle of caring for them(some of you will be laughing at this fantasy already).
So I got a betta March 21, 2013. Or actually my girlfriend got me a betta - I bought a small tank and stuff and she got me the actual betta as a present. She also named it Tsunami for me. I thought it was a bit derivative but it turns out the name is wildly accurate, because he is a powerful and destructive force of nature.
Not knowing much about aquariums, I got a 3 gallon cylinder with a little LED light and an airpump from Walmart, thinking it would be tons of room for him. Certainly better than a glass bowl but I wish I'd known then what I do know. C'est la vie.
So here he is! This was the first day I brought him home. I can't believe how white he was back then!

Things were good. I fed him, changed his water (too little and too infrequently probably, but I did). He began developing flakes of shimmering blue coloring and got a little bigger. He flared up ALL the time and gave me much entertainment. Eventually I removed the airstone and decided he needed better places to hide. A few months after that I added live plants, anubias and anacharis, to further comfort him.

Then I decided to try him with some tank mates. After a bit of research I decided on ghost shrimp. The ghosts came with a ball of moss. Tsumi didn't mind the moss, he still tried to eat them. Reminded me of an orca whale beaching itself to catch seals. I got 3 shrimp. The next morning they were all dead, with legs and insides eaten, despite some of those shrimp being almost as big as him. So... he's more the lone wolf type.

About a month ago, he started getting a red fin infection and fin rot! I was so worried, but thanks to the user Lilnaugrim on here he started recovering nicely. Thanks a million Lilnaugrim :)

Then I got a 10 gallon for christmas. After decorating and letting it cycle, I put Tsumi in to help him recover since this new tank had a heater and filter and more swimming room. He has always been a very active betta, so this was heaven for him. But I was getting really excited about a community tank since I had so much more room... I decided to try my luck with a tiny, bland colored bottomdweller. Pygmy corydoras!

While acclimating them, Tsumi immediately became interested.

And then immediately decided they would taste good, and began nibbling at the bag whenever he saw them.

I've heard that pygmies are poor travelers so I didn't wanna risk the stress having a betta in the tank would cause, and it was clear he wasn't gonna get along with them.
I put him back in the 3 gallon.
He did not like this at all, and became visibly sad. I don't know how to describe a sad betta but seeing as this is a forum full of betta owners, I'm guessing you all know what I mean when I say that you can easily recognize a sad betta. He was very sad, and that made me sad.
I lost heart.
I bought another 10 gallon just for him.

Same decorations and stuff as the old one for now. I'm partial to planted tanks, and I'm planning a temple ruin/jungle themed tank but for the next month or so it'll just be like this.

Here he is getting angry at a thermometer:

I tried to catch a pic of him flaring. He is seriously a very aggressive, fast fish and this blur was the best I could do.

And lastly, my Tsumi guarding his domicile.

Anyway, for those still with me, sorry this was so long. I love my fish and I'm glad to show him off. Plus, he is such a trooper and been through so much as I learned how to better tend to fish, I feel he deserves the recognition. Also sorry the pictures were of random size and quality. My phone has an excellent phone-camera, but it's still just a phone, and I don't know the best way to include pictures yet. I don't have a lot of forum experience. I hope you enjoyed somewhat. Say hi to your fish for me.
HelplesslyHuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #2 
isntanything

Really enjoyable read. Thanks for posting.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #3 
BettaLover1313

Tsumi sounds like quite the character! Really enjoyed reading this!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:46 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:37 PM   #5 
HelplesslyHuman

Thanks, I'm glad some of you muscled your way through that novel of a post :)

Tsumi is quite the character indeed.. The more I'm learning about bettas the more I'm realizing he's pretty unique! I'm sure that's true for most betta owners though. Hopefully I'll see you lovely people around the forums a bit :)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #6 
KBeck

I love your post. Great description of Tsunami's adventures. Also- he is a beautiful boy!
KBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #7 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Welcome to you and Tsunami

I love the feisty boys

Roar!!!!
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:19 PM   #8 
Rauddys809

your aquarium is super dope :D i enjoyed reading this also :D have fun in the community i am new my self and i love it here!!
Rauddys809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #9 
EvaJupiterSkies

This was a highly entertaining read. From Tycho, Rowan, Esmeralda, Sherlock, Cassini, and myself, we welcome you and Tsunami! :D
EvaJupiterSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:12 PM   #10 
HelplesslyHuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBeck View Post
I love your post. Great description of Tsunami's adventures. Also- he is a beautiful boy!
Isn't he though! Haha I know he's not "show quality" but to heck with shows, he's gorgeous. Thanks for looking :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Welcome to you and Tsunami

I love the feisty boys

Roar!!!!
Right! Can be a pain when they're impossible to house with anything else but I wouldn't have him any other way. He's a champion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rauddys809 View Post
your aquarium is super dope :D i enjoyed reading this also :D have fun in the community i am new my self and i love it here!!
Thanks! I try to put some work into my betta's homes. It's a cool forum, welcome to you too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaJupiterSkies View Post
This was a highly entertaining read. From Tycho, Rowan, Esmeralda, Sherlock, Cassini, and myself, we welcome you and Tsunami! :D
Goodness that's a lot haha. Tycho is absolutely amazing, I love him! Thanks for the kind words :)