Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #1 
Eolith

New Tank Woes

I need help!

I've just gotten a 10g and a divider to separate it so that I could house both of my betta boys in the same tank. The only thing is, they can see each other through the divider and are constantly trying to go at each other. I've put as many plants as I possibly can to try and obstruct their view of each other, but they're stubborn buggers.

Is this something that is going to be an ongoing problem? Will they be too stressed to eat properly and such? Should I break down and put them in separate tanks?

Also, my filter (a Tetra Whisper) is too strong. One of my bettas got his fins sucked into the intake and they're sort of frayed now. I don't know what to do! I've turned the filter off for now, but I don't think that can be my ongoing solution.
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:00 PM   #2 
New2Betas

Not sure about the devider situation but check out this link to help with the filter. http://www.tropicalfishforum.net/showthread.php?t=529 Check out the first 2 pictures, that should help.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 PM   #3 
TigerLily

What I do for my water intakes is this:
I buy a replacement sponge for an aquaclear filter. I cut a hole in the top, and slide the sponge over the water intake. It's soft enough not to hurt the bettas, it's cheap since the sponge is only about two dollars, and I've noticed that it seems to be a favorite place for my shrimp to climb around. :P
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #4 
Elaina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
What I do for my water intakes is this:
I buy a replacement sponge for an aquaclear filter. I cut a hole in the top, and slide the sponge over the water intake. It's soft enough not to hurt the bettas, it's cheap since the sponge is only about two dollars, and I've noticed that it seems to be a favorite place for my shrimp to climb around. :P
Ooh, that's a great idea! I might have to do that with my tanks!
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:38 PM   #5 
Eolith

You know... I just did that... but now I can even get the darn filter to turn on. The fates seem to be against me. >_<

They're still going at it... even though I tried putting in a few other things to further obstruct their view...
Eolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #6 
lilyrazen

My bettas were at it for 3 days before they quit. they should be fine.
pull pantyhose over the intake and it'll save them from getting sucked in.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM   #7 
lilyrazen

I just made a new baffle for my outtake, the same but with 8 holes instead of two, in two columns with four rows.
lilyrazen is offline   Reply With Quote