Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-19-2009, 04:08 AM   #1 
DefyingGravity

Breeding Dragon Bettas

I'm not ready to start breeding yet (due to the lack of a female, and because I'm not happy with the research I've done yet) but I'm trying to understand genetics etc, so I just have a couple of questions.

Do I have to breed a dragon male with a dragon female?
What tail types can be bred together (most common is veil and crown here, and females are all veil, so I'd have to aquabid it most likely if I wanted another type)
I read something about not breeding certain colours together, can anyone shed light on whether that is true or not?

Also, does anyone have a link on where I can find out about genetics and the like. I've seen so many how tos on the actual breeding process, but nothing along the lines of the questions above.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, or for asking stupid questions, lol.

Thanks guys :)
DefyingGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 10:06 AM   #2 
Lethbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefyingGravity View Post
I'm not ready to start breeding yet (due to the lack of a female, and because I'm not happy with the research I've done yet) but I'm trying to understand genetics etc, so I just have a couple of questions.

Do I have to breed a dragon male with a dragon female?
What tail types can be bred together (most common is veil and crown here, and females are all veil, so I'd have to aquabid it most likely if I wanted another type)
I read something about not breeding certain colours together, can anyone shed light on whether that is true or not?

Also, does anyone have a link on where I can find out about genetics and the like. I've seen so many how tos on the actual breeding process, but nothing along the lines of the questions above.

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, or for asking stupid questions, lol.

Thanks guys :)
Okay, so no you do not have to breed a dragon male to a dragon female. However if you would like to keep the pure line i would recommend that you breed a dragon male to dragon female but if you are just breeding because then go ahead and use any male you like. Really any tail type can be bred with any tail type, however when breeding double tails genetics become mixed up a bit i would recommend you visit one of the early post from this forum, which we discussed breeding double tails, just scroll down and you should find it on this page or page two, you'll recognize it from the title. Really you can breed any colour with any colour with the exception of pure black males to pure black females again their is a post on this as well, on page one or two that describes certain restrictions with breeding black bettas. But again if you would like to keep a pure colour you would stick to similar colours in both the male and female. Unfortunately i dont really have any sites that you can take a look at but they are out there so just keep looking and researching and you should be able to find them
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #3 
DefyingGravity

Ok, awesome. I have a dragon male VT, and my concern was finding a female here because no one has females, and if they do, they are ugly. My Lilith (RIP) was a rare find. I'd probably stick to VT's & CT's.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised at the site, because for memory one of them was don't breed blue & red together, and I thought that was the most ridiculous thing I had heard, and decided to go to my trust site to find out, so thanks for the help! Much appreciated!
Old 12-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #4 
Lethbridge

Ya there are some pretty funny thing on the web i have bred red and blues together before so that is totally wrong. But i hope you can find a nicer female that will suit to your likings
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 06:11 PM   #5 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Lies, on the Internet, nooooooooo, I've never heard of it LOL, but anyway, if you want to stay true to a certian color pattern, breed the same colorings, or just expiriment around, I think the Delta gene is resseve, otherwise I don't know much about genetics, If Mr, vampire would come back on, he would tell you everything you need to know about it.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #6 
DefyingGravity

^ That is why I confirm everything. Find info on one site, go to another to get it confirmed. Years of university writing has taught me that :P lol. I'm going to be sticking with VT's & CT's... and possibly when I move out gets some HM's, so we will see how it pans out.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:27 PM   #7 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
thats my plan as well. quick question, how do you get halfsuns, I thought it is Comb+HM
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Ok dragons my personal fave type of betta. I would personaly buy a sibling pair but have one of them DT and the other ST. Just to get good finnage and a pure line. Not saying ur male is bad, which he isn't he's gorgeous, but you can't b sure of his genetic backround.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:32 AM   #9 
DefyingGravity

I'm currently not 100% sure if I am going to breed using Castiel. I was just more interested in some details on it. Even if I do, Australia works differently to America in terms of bettas, so people would accept them no matter what they look like, and most of my fish would be staying with me or going to families and friends. I do understand what you mean, but this is just a bit of fun for me & experimentation.

And can you clarify DT & ST? I'm still not 100% with all these terms. I just know basics :P
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 PM   #10 
k stiles

DT or DeT is delta
VT is veil
HM is half moon
HS is half sun
SD is super delta
CT is crown tail
MTS is multiple tank syndrome
LFS is local fish store
LPS is local pet store
Dbt is double tail
PK is plakat
HMPK is half moon plakat