Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #1 
BettaBoy51

Exclamation Betta Tank Help please help asap

so i want to upgrade 4 of my bettas from there gallon bowls to 2.5 gallon tanks but dont have alot to spend but i got more counter space and want to give them a good life there tanks willbe touching and i will have something in the middle of them so they cant see each other but how could i heat the tanks so they dont die i cant afford 4 heaters but want a different way to heat there tanks and my house is going in to the 50-60 degree range tonight and there bowls dont have heaters will they die? what can i do to keep them warm asap

PS i bought them and there bowls before i knew about what size tank they needed and the pet shop said i dident need a heater so i dont know what to do plus its normally 70-95 degrees here in FL but the cold came and droped the temp so i dont know what to do please help!
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:41 PM   #2 
Aus

Ah, poor you. Some shop assistants need a good kick in the pants as encouragement to learn about the stock they're selling.... sigh.

Anyway. You could crank your heater up in that room, lay some towels under the tanks as insulation, wrap towels around the sided and a layer of clingwrap over the top. That will help heat to stop dissipating overnight.

I'm not sure what sort of 'different' heating you're after, but I'd seriously be asking somebody for an emergency loan for four adjustable small heaters. I use Dymax 30w mini-heaters, which I find brilliant and reliable but there's much cheaper adjustable ones around.

Heaters are essential, for keeping the temp both tropical -and- steady.

I'm sorry the store totally did you wrong. It's terrible, how they do that, very stressful to all concerned.

Maybe you could even take 2 or 3 of the fish and tanks back, yell at the idiot who said you don't need a heater (this would be optional, but I'd probably do it), demand a refund and use the money to buy heaters for the remaining fish?
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:04 AM   #3 
Gallifrey

You can get a 10g tank for pretty cheap ($15~20) and divide it into four sections. You'll only need one heater, watts matched to the size of the tank, and one filter. Or two 5g ($10~15 each) and two heaters. Basically, a divided tank might be the way you'd want to go. Cost efficient and easier maintenance.

Last edited by Gallifrey; 01-08-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Gallifrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:28 AM   #4 
itsuki

gallifrey is right a divided tank is the cheaper route. wal mart has 10 gallon tanks for 12 bucks, try there. some other advice, place the tank(s) away from windows and walls that aren't connected to another room (they usually tend to be abit colder especially in older houses), and near the vents so they'll be closest to the heat once its on. heat rises up so the higher up off the ground the tank is the warmer it should be. the temperature differences around a room will probably be small but with little heating options every little bit counts.
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #5 
BettaBoy51

i wraped them in towels tonight and they did fine there water is warm still but i think im going to get them each 2 or 2.5 gallon tanks with a little heater and thermometer and do a 50% a week water change (in the bowls i do a 100% a week i had one that lived for 1 year in a half gallon bowl with no water change in the freezing cold water i wish i would have known better before)do you think that would work?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #6 
relaxedcrazyman

that would work just fine. but if you are trying to keep costs to a minimum, i would also suggest a 10-15 gallon tank and divide it up. i have a 2.5 gallon for my betta and i usually do a 50% change on wednesday and 50% on saturday.
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #7 
Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
You can get a 10g tank for pretty cheap ($15~20) and divide it into four sections. You'll only need one heater, watts matched to the size of the tank, and one filter. Or two 5g ($10~15 each) and two heaters. Basically, a divided tank might be the way you'd want to go. Cost efficient and easier maintenance.
Quoting myself because this's honestly your best option. Buying a 2.5g tank for EACH fish will cost more than dividing a tank, not to mention buying individual heaters. Your main concern was the cost, so read above again.

You'll have to do TWO 50% water changes a week for EACH 2.5g (total 8 changes a week), whereas a larger divided tank calls for less water changes a week. A larger heated divided tank is your best option if you're unwilling to do more than one water change a week for four individual tanks.

Last edited by Gallifrey; 01-08-2014 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:30 AM   #8 
BettaBoy51

ok i just can afford heaters for all of them so i dont know what to do to keep them warm?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:35 AM   #9 
Gallifrey

Keep room temp at least at 70*F degrees, make sure they're not near windows or walls that don't connect to other rooms, and wrap their tanks in towels. That's pretty much all you can do at this point till you buy the heaters.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #10 
BettaBoy51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
Quoting myself because this's honestly your best option. Buying a 2.5g tank for EACH fish will cost more than dividing a tank, not to mention buying individual heaters. Your main concern was the cost, so read above again.

You'll have to do TWO 50% water changes a week for EACH 2.5g (total 8 changes a week), whereas a larger divided tank calls for less water changes a week. A larger heated divided tank is your best option if you're unwilling to do more than one water change a week for four individual tanks.
i dont have any money right now ( im only 13) i wont have the money for a 10 gallon and dividers or a heater heater until i sell my bettas that i bred and she wont let me get anything more yet until i sell the ones that are for sale that i bred i still have some for sale if anyone wants any to buy off me i would sell them cheap they are SD tails they are red and irid tint

Last edited by BettaBoy51; 01-08-2014 at 01:08 PM.