Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #1 
JamieTron

Pre-breeding question...baby issues

Hey everyone, I have been planning on breeding bettas for about a year now, and I have read and done much research on the process. I have a 15 gallon tank and 3 breed able females and 5 males (just not one chosen yet). Now I understand the breeding process. The infusia growth I understand and I have artemia cysts stored away for future babies. Now I have hatched trout at school a few times and know not every baby will live and not all of them will be in top health (I understand that euthanasia may become an issue for some fry) BUT I also understand that MANY babies can come from this process....

SO I want to keep some babies but not all of them...where do most people end up giving their babies away? do you all sell them individually until they are gone? petstore? online? I just need some suggestions :) I have some people who want some already friends and family...but not enough for every baby to find a home. I want to make the right decision for ways to find them good homes :)
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 PM   #2 
Lethbridge

Well for every person it is different. In my personal case i sell mine to the pet store i work at, but you could try to sell your online however the chances of you selling them online is slim because the fish will cost less than the shipping because most hobbists breed comman bettas which can be found just about anywhere, so unles you get a high quality breeding pair to start stick to selling them or giving them to your lfs
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #3 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I have a HUGE family, so I could probably manage to sell them to my family, I plan to keep some, and probably sell some to the petsmart, who's water is kept clean at all times
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:11 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

id suggest calling your local fish stores and finding out if they will want any, they may not want to buy them, so maybe you ask if they would give you store credit, just a thought
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think it would be a good idea to call around, like Christina said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #6 
JamieTron

Okay thanks guys! great ideas, I will probably try to sell mine to my local petstore, it isn't a franchise and all the bettas either are put in 10 gallon tanks with some of the other fish or they get their own 1 gallon jars....rather then the tiny cups. Not the best but it is better...and I have never seen a dirty betta jar there once. Hopefully they will give me positive feedback, I wouldn't even mind giving them to that petstore for free, just because they do such a good job with their animals.

Okay I'll call some places thanks again guys
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #7 
AlexXx

I have like 20+ pet stores around my area, South Florida is packed! I have been thinkin about this for some time, i think i would possibly visit the stores with pics of the parents and say you have baby and ask how much they pay for their deliveries of betta and maybe charge much much less then they pay for that so they store is saving money and maybe not getting a delivery that week or the next. In this economy people are doing anything to save a few bux so this isn't as far fetched as youd thing, unless you dont have a very attractive pair. If your going to try to sell i would suggest at least doing CT's because VT are just not as sought after sadly :(

Any way, if you go to all the stores around your area, i think you could most deff find a few that would purchase a few betta! Also if they sell well, im sure you will get a call back, and maybe they will raise your prices!

This might just all be wishful thinking... but at least its something :D GOOD LUCK :D
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #8 
Lethbridge

depending on what you are breeding, the pet stores may TAKE your vt but they may BUY your ct, it all depends on how comman your bettas are around your area.
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote