Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2009, 06:40 PM   #1 
New2Betas

Talking Starting a Sorority!!

Alright so I bought that Fish tank and hood from petsmart today for $15. Also got a filter for $10, still need to get a heater. I went to the craft store and bought a bunch of plants, took off the metal stems and stringed them together with long leaves and glued them to rocks with silicone. (Made 3 larger plants and 3 small ones for about $15!!) Also went to HomeDepot and got a large bag of pea gravel that Iíll clean tomorrow. I just spray painted the black of the tank black so that needs to dry first anyway.

So I bought something called Nutrafin Cycle, the lady at the pet store said thatís what they use in their tanks. She said that 20 hours after I set the tank up with everything in it and the Nurtafin Cycle to buy 2 zebra danios to help with the cycling cycle and then to bring in samples of the water every week or so, so they can test it for me. She said it would table 4-6 week to the tank to cycle.

I would love to hear any input you may have and advice.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Sounds GREAT!!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 PM   #3 
ScuitoAmi150

Make sure none of the spray paint got into the tank! That stuff is nasty...
Other than that it sounds great and can't wait to see pics! =]
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #4 
Elaina

How exciting! I went to petsmart today and debated getting the 10gal w/hood for $15 and reselling it, but it was more hassle then I really wanted to deal with. I just ended up getting 35lbs of tidycat litter for $10, lol.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 PM   #5 
sunkissedinCA

awesome deal on the decorations, i prefer to get crafty too when it comes to decorating my tanks. can't wait to hear more about your sorority when it gets set up!
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #6 
AlexXx

I got the 10 gallon from petsmart with the filter too! for my brother though, he wants to get more betta! i got him addicted :D

Sounds good, but i would just do a natual cycle instead of chemicals :/
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:03 AM   #7 
New2Betas

How do you do a natural cycle? I'm starting tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

to cycle a tank generally takes 4-8 weeks anyway, u can use the cycle product and it may or may NOT speed up the process......ive used a few of those type products and it didnt speed anything up, their trying to upsell you

theres a thread here on cycling.....

preferably fishless, and id use fishfood to help it cycle to get the ammonia started......INSTEAD of the actual 100% ammonia, but thats just MY opinion. i dont use ANY chemicals that arent absolutely necessary
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM   #9 
New2Betas

I'm confused, because on a thread it was saying how you have to add ammonia and test the water daily.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #10 
AlexXx

What i did was add one fish, my VT Desmond. He stayed in there for about 6 weeks, then i added a minnow, then i added a molly the week after. During all of this i was testing every other day for ammonia, when it got to high i did a 20% or so water change, which i only really had to do once every 5-7 days, unless your feeding your fish more, i only give 1 pellet every morning and night, some times blood worms, and some times 2-3 if im feeling generous :D haha. Its a good idea to get the Masters Freshwater API test kit. Its like 35 bux but well worth it, and youll hardly ever have to buy any other testing kit again, it does well over 800 tests. After like 5 weeks start testing for nitrite, then nitrate after that! When all read zero, youve got yourself a cycled tank :D. Then you can add 2 fish every week or so.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote