Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #1 
IsisWings

Needing some advice on my sorority tank.

Hello all! I have a 10gal sorority that a few people on here helped me set up about 3 months ago. I have four female bettas, two crowntails and two veiltails. They have been doing beautifully. Unfortunately, one of my crowntails appears to have gotten beat up overnight. For the past two days she wasn't going to the top to get food with the rest and I was concerned they were bullying her out of it. I saw no for sure signs so I put her on "betta watch". Magically overnight it appears that she got beat up by someone because she has a couple of chunks missing on her tail and she's just laying on the bottom of the tank.

I have since taken her out and put her in a QT for treatment. My question now is that I am left with three fish. I have been told this is a no no and although they appear fine for now I am worried that soon there will be another girl getting ganged up on. What is my best action here? Although it would be very pricey to split them all up, if I must then I will. Has ANYONE had success with just three girls?
IsisWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #2 
Elvette Emmett

I would say 4 isn't enough for a 10 gal and that could be why you're seeing obviously bullying. Have your girls been in the tank for 3 months or is that just when you established the tank? If they're been in the tank that long my suggestion would be to get 2-3 more girls, QT them, and the rearrange your tank to remove any established "territory" and then add all the girls in together. There will be nipping and fin damage when you introduce all of them but it will stop once their hierarchy is in place. Also I have no idea about 3 girls, I started with 6
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #3 
IsisWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvette Emmett View Post
I would say 4 isn't enough for a 10 gal and that could be why you're seeing obviously bullying. Have your girls been in the tank for 3 months or is that just when you established the tank? If they're been in the tank that long my suggestion would be to get 2-3 more girls, QT them, and the rearrange your tank to remove any established "territory" and then add all the girls in together. There will be nipping and fin damage when you introduce all of them but it will stop once their hierarchy is in place. Also I have no idea about 3 girls, I started with 6
They've been in it for three months, sorry I didn't establish that in the original post. I may try that, just wasn't sure if adding more fish in was "do-able".
IsisWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #4 
Elvette Emmett

Technically speaking, the rule is 1 inch of fish per gallon, so you could have 10 girls in there and a lot of people say overstocking for a sorority is better, but I disagree, I would max out at 8 for a 10 gal sorority, that way each girl has a little over a gallon each, but yeah adding more is definitely doable
Elvette Emmett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:37 PM   #5 
RainbowhLizzie

I have 3 in my sorority at the moment, but plan to add more. But that is besides the point: My trio get along great. They eat together, swim together, and relax together. I was blessed to get three sweet girls.
It is all up to your girls' personalities IMO.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RainbowhLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote