Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2014, 03:09 AM   #1 
Brandielee

Exclamation Overfeeding emergency!!!

Hi there, this is only my second betta fish and I feel like a terrible momma right now because I think I've been over feeding the poor guy way too much. I've only had him for a week. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank with gravel and some fake plants. I have a thermometer (which stays at 78 degrees usually). Anyway I've been giving him 6-8 pellets a day!! 3-4 in the morning and the rest before bed.. I now know that that is way too much for the little guy. He looks kind of bloated to me and I noticed he was hiding under his plants and staying low to the gravel which is not like him. He's usually very energetic and happy. He does still swim up to the glass when he sees me. I really need help, I don't want him to die. I want him to live a healthy long life! How many pellets should I be feeding him? What is the best food? How do I help him with the bloating (I heard something about peas)? Also I want to clean his tank a little tomorrow, should I do a partial water change? Ahhh please walk me through the steps, I really need some teaching! Also is it okay to use the same gravel? As long as I wash it?
Thank you!!!!!
Brandielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:11 AM   #2 
Brandielee

One more thing, is a 2.5 gallon tank okay? I kind of have a lot of stuff in there. I'm thinking about upgrading so he can swim around more?
Brandielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 AM   #3 
logisticsguy

With a 2 gallon you should be doing a 50-70% water change 2x per week. and using a turkey baster to clean up any leftover poops. It really would be good if you could upgrade him to a 5-10g. Since you have a lot of stuff in the 2g he may only have 1-1.5 g of water. For now just do a wc everyday for a few days. I do not recommend peas myself. Try fasting him for 2 days and see if his bloating gets better. Before you dump your water do a test on it and see where your ammonia levels are at. This will let you know if the level reached a point where you need to treat him or if it may be part of the problem. Over feeding in a small container can cause rapid ammonia spikes.
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote