Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #1 
jenna

Exclamation Advanced fin rot, biting?

Hello fellow betta lovers,
I am asking for help because I have a new guy named Ren (Sir Renity) He is not doing so well. About a month ago I noticed a "tear" in his dorsal fin and chalked it up to the decor in his tank being too rough. I also noticed one on his anal fin and so I took what I thought was the culprit out of his tank. The "tears" started to grow back in, clear and healthy. This week, he has not been looking so great. I am not sure if it is fin rot or him chewing or what. I am confused and worried. I am hoping someone can help point me in the right direction of how to save him. Thank you.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1g
What temperature is your tank? 72-80
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? he has a heater but we only use it sometimes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? nls all purpose formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day, 1 pellet each time

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime 2 drops and Tetra Safestart 2 drops

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No, I can if needed.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail is almost non existant, looks like a crunchy leaf with jagged edges, his dorsal and anal fins are torn and jagged looking, his pelvic fin one is shorter/raggedy
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Seems to be acting the same
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Thought he had a tear in his dorsal from decoration about a month ago, just noticing any progression this week.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him since October '13 but he had all of his fins grown and colored...
Attached Images

Last edited by jenna; 01-24-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: adding healthy picture
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I cant see anything on the edges of his fins in the pics. Can you confirm theres no edging? A darker color around the torn parts or perhaps some fuzziness?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #3 
jenna

No darker color...perhaps slight fuzziness...very slight less than a quarter of a millimeter...I was just told my mom dropped him (he jumped out of the bowl we put him in while we clean) when she did his last water change into the drain and had to grab him with her hands...now I am wondering if maybe she caused the damage. She cannot confirm. She says she was gentle. I think that it is irrelevant because of the prior tears I saw.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #4 
jenna

It also looks like his pectoral fins are wispy less than half of the way out from his body. This is much worse than I thought.

Last edited by jenna; 01-24-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #5 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Human hands do contain a mild acid which can burn fish but really if he had tears already likely the trauma of jumping could have just made them a little more raggedy.
Frankly this is a good thing compared to the alternative because it means this is more likely a trauma injury to a rot issue.

Bettas have remarkably fast healing fins (likely because they rip them so often) so as long as you see no active rot, clean water and possibly some AQ salt (optional) to keep the wounds clean is all he will need to grow it all back.

Also you suspect he tore it on his rock? best you check that so it doesnt happen again.

Last edited by Taeanna; 01-24-2014 at 10:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #6 
jenna

Thank you so much for your help! I will up the tank cleanings and put some salt in there for him and keep a more watchful eye. I am going to take all of his decorations out and get some new ones for him just in case. He had a little hideaway with some rough edges on the inside but I didn't think they would be rough enough to tear panty hose. I got a new one from walmart but I don't think it is any better. I will find something without any rough edges. Again thank you. I was so terrified. I am grateful this place is here so knowledge and experience of those who have it can be shared.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I'm happy we could be of help.

A decorating idea I do is to use candle and tea light burners from the dollar store as caves. They are decorative, come in a lot of varieties, are easy to clean and smooth glazed so they cannot hurt anyone.
I know others use decorative ceramic coffee mugs and similar.