Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #21 
Withered

Anyone have any other suggestions? Should I maybe try to does with Kanaplex again? Is it safe to use Kanaplex with IAL and General Cure? I don't want to overmedicate, but at this point he's not getting any better. :S
Withered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:40 PM   #22 
Withered

Here is a pic of him from today with a flash. I can't tell if he's any better, if anything he's worse.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...141911_875.jpg
Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #23 
Sakura8

Hi Withered. I'm sorry to hear Twilight is sick. :( First, when you look at his head, the dark "mask" on his head, do you see the gold iridescence? Look at his eyeballs too. Do you see any gold there? Velvet will be on the eyeballs in an especially bad case.

It's hard to tell from the pics but it does look like he may have velvet. Here is a fish I got from Petco with a very serious case of velvet for reference.

For treatment, I usually suggest 3 tsp of AQ salt per gallon with high heat at 86 F. Another possibility you may consider is a 3 minute long bath in this solution, then return him to his tank. Repeat once a day.

The best med to use against velvet is something that has formalin in it. I suggest Kordon Rid Ich or Rid Ich Plus, although be aware that formalin will put a hit on your beneficial bacteria. If you can, try to use a small hospital tank.

Also, velvet responds to light so try and keep him as absolutely dark as possible.

Hope this helps! Good luck, Twilight!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:50 PM   #24 
Withered

Sakura, firstly, thank you for responding to my pm! It really means alot. I shined a light on him again just now and his eyes and head look pretty clear to me. They don't look sprinkled with anything, so that is why i'm not sure if this is velvet or not. His body looks really shiny though with that flash, but thats the only area he looks shiny. On his fins, body area...but not his face or eyes. Could it just be something stress related? It's the clamped fins that worry me and the fact that he just sits at the top all day. He doesn't try to go to the bottom, and he almost always slept in his treasure chest cave, which he hasn't been doing at all in the past week. Also, he's not scratching on anything or darting or breathing hard at all. Wouldn't he be doing that if it were velvet?
Old 01-13-2014, 12:21 AM   #25 
Sakura8

With velvet, fish don't necessarily flash or dart. Some external parasites like velvet don't appear to be as itchy. Often with velvet, the fish just clamps up.

The shiny part appears to be natural iridescence then, especially in the flash. The most likely places you'd see velvet spores are on the head or fins so if you don't see anything, he most likely doesn't have velvet. That, however, doesn't mean he doesn't have some kind of external parasite of some sort. Aside from velvet and ich, most external parasites are invisible to the naked eye so the only way to tell if he has them is a skin sample under the microscope. But judging from his symptoms, I'd say there's a 50/50 chance.

In that case, you would want to go ahead with either the AQ salt/high heat or the Kordon Rid Ich treatment as both options will treat other external parasites such as costia.

If you use just AQ salt, you can continue with the IAL but I'm not sure if you can use IAL with Kordon Rid Ich or with other medications.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:32 AM   #26 
Withered

I'm going to go to the pet store again tomorrow. I didn't see any ich treatment there other then the API one, but maybe I overlooked it. I have him on general cure right now but it doesn't seem to have helped him at all. If anything he is getting worse. I have to work tomorrow but I think i'm going to take him out of his tank now and put him in a qt tank which I think is a half gallon but i'm not too sure. So i'd just put 1 1/2 of the aq salts right? and maybe some of the ial for stress. I think I have a small enough heater to fit in there too. Do you think it's okay that I take him off the general cure like that though after only one dose? I guess if it doesn't seem to be helping then it's kind of pointless to leave him on it when I could be doing something that is actually going to help him.

What do I do with my tank in the process? Do I just leave the filter running like normal and do water changes as if a fish is in there or do I need to totally break it down and sterilize it before putting him back in? I don't really want to kill off the good bacteria, but if there are parasites in the tank, I don't exactly want to put him back in either if he does pull through which i'm seriously hoping that he does! I just hope he's still alive tomorrow morning or when I get home from work. :(

Also, sorry for all the questions, but how often should I do a water change for him with this treatment?

I forgot to add, it seems like he's having trouble swimming down as well or swimming period, but I don't know if it's because of his stiff fins or something else.

Last edited by Withered; 01-13-2014 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Had more to say.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #27 
Withered

Sorry...this is the aquarium i have for him...so I guess it's a 1 gallon.

http://www.petco.com/product/109840/...arium-Kit.aspx

This is the ich meds i saw at the petstore. If there isn't anything else, would this possibly work?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
Old 01-13-2014, 12:42 AM   #28 
Sakura8

Yes, it's okay to stop the General Cure. Unlike antibiotics, it's not so vital that we finish the full treatment. At this point, I think removing him is fine.

Per the tank - if you DON'T have live plants, crank up the heat to 86 F and just leave it alone for two weeks. That time period, the heat, and having no fish will eliminate any parasites in the tank. In short, they'll die without a host. As they die, they'll decay and cause enough ammonia to keep the cycle going.

In a half gallon, I would do a 100% change every day to remove the parasites (trophants) that fall off due to the salt or medication. And yes for the dosage.

One thing I'm becoming more worried about is the possibility of an secondary internal infection, so we'll have to keep an eye on that for any further symptoms.

Oh, and if he'll eat, encourage him to.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:44 AM   #29 
Sakura8

Oh, for the meds. No, unfortunately API Super Ick Cure won't do much. Malachite Green is iffy at best on whether or not it does any good in the aquarium and nitrofurazone is actually an antibiotic best used for topical infections like columnaris and fin rot.

Do they have Mardel Quick Cure?

EDIT: Forgot to add, if you DO have live plants in his regular tank, do everything except increase the heat to 80 or 82F. This is about as high as most plants will tolerate.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 AM   #30 
Withered

I'm going to go ahead with the salts. I'm going to try to get his temp to at least 82 tonight since it's about 80ish now, I just don't want to raise it so high that he gets stressed out. I'm not sure if they have the mardel one or not. They "might" have the kordon one, but thats a shot in the dark because it's just a very small pet store and they only seem to really carry api products though I have seen the kordon water conditioners, so i'm hoping that i just overlooked the ich treatment. In any event, hopefully the salts will work. It's better then doing nothing.

Also no, I don't have live plants so I can just raise the temps to 86 hoping my heater goes that high. It's at 84 right now but it's only heating up to 80 or 81 depending on the time of day.

Last edited by Withered; 01-13-2014 at 12:54 AM. Reason: More to add.