Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-08-2014, 11:47 PM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

My betta is in bad shape

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon hospital but currently only at 0.5 so that he can reach the surface better
What temperature is your tank? 82
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, airstone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None while in hospital tank

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet Pellets OR frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets around 1x-2x daily. Worms 1x daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lethargic, can't keep upright as it seems fins are too heavy, severe fin rot, red sore, and maybe popeye
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, likes to lay on his side at bottom. In main tank he just lays in the plants near the surface
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He started hanging out near the surface over a month ago. But the fin rot/popeye? started a few days ago and I just noticed the red spot
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes, 0.5 tsp ES to 0.5 gallon. Started this all on 1/6/14
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He has had his share of fin rot a few times
How old is your fish (approximately)? Had him since January 2013

I have API T.C Tetracycline and Jungle Fungus Clear on hand and kanaplex will be here on Thursday. This is only my second time to do this so ask me if you need any more information.

I am not 100% sure on the popeye, but I am 100% sure on everything else.

BEFORE (I know it's a WAY old picture but it shows what his fins should look like)

AFTER (He has grown up and turned into a chocolate brown color with blue fins)

InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not really sure what to advise you to use. I've heard some people recommend salt baths and others recommend using Kanaplex. Hopefully someone will come along and give you some good advice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:45 PM   #3 
eatmice2010

Ok what state is he in know( if you wouldn't mind posting update pics please)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM   #4 
InfiniteGlory

dramaqueen. I am starting to gather a little of each medicine just in case. Hopefully the kanaplex will be here tomorrow. Thanks for the effort.

eatmice2010. He did eat 3 of the 4 pellets I dropped in the tank this morning. So he is eating at least. Here is a pic from tonight. The one's I posted with the exception of the one with plants is from the past two days. nothing much has changed since being in QT.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #5 
oceanbetta11

he looks sick but try to figure out what kind of diaseas it is and treated him
oceanbetta11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #6 
eatmice2010

Ok thank you. That poor baby, well from what I can tell is he does look to have fin rot. But the rest is a strange mess. The sad thing is that this forum used to be filled with tons of betta experts buy over the year they just have disappeared. In sorry I can be of any help, hopefully someone more experienced with help.
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

I don't see a red sore in the photos.... where is it located? (Or can you get a better photo of it?) Is it a localized open sore? Or does it have red lines radiating out from it? (Localized would indicate an external infection. But if there are lines radiating out, it can mean that the infection has gotten into his bloodstream or body.)

Is there a white ring around his eye(s)? Or white patches on his body? It looks like that in some of the photos.

I see the fin rot. It looks like it's progressed quickly....

A bacterial infection can cause the fin rot, eye problems, red sores. These are all external issues.

Is he bloated at all? Since he's lying on his side, it may be affecting him internally, too.

Since you're expecting the Kanaplex to arrive tomorrow, I'd go ahead and use that. It's a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, and it's one of the few that treats both external and internal bacterial infections.

If for some reason the Kanaplex doesn't arrive, rather than waiting, I'd try using the Jungle Fungus Clear that you have on hand. It would be effective against many types of external infections, but wouldn't help for internal ones..... Or you could try a sulfa med, such as API Triple Sulfa. (Don't use this if you're allergic to sulfa meds though.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:11 AM   #8 
InfiniteGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmice2010 View Post
Ok thank you. That poor baby, well from what I can tell is he does look to have fin rot. But the rest is a strange mess. The sad thing is that this forum used to be filled with tons of betta experts buy over the year they just have disappeared. In sorry I can be of any help, hopefully someone more experienced with help.
Thank you for at least trying. LBF has some good info that I am going to look into and follow.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:27 AM   #9 
InfiniteGlory

Here is the only picture I have of the red sore. I am using my phone for pictures but I can get out our digital camera and see if I can get a better one. But here is what I have now.

I don't see a red sore in the photos.... where is it located? (Or can you get a better photo of it?) Is it a localized open sore? Or does it have red lines radiating out from it? (Localized would indicate an external infection. But if there are lines radiating out, it can mean that the infection has gotten into his bloodstream or body.)
As far as I can tell there are a few raised scales in the area and has body is just red at that one spot. I will make one last attempt with our other camera tonight and will try for a better one tomorrow while he is in his cup during the WC

Is there a white ring around his eye(s)? Or white patches on his body? It looks like that in some of the photos.
I can not tell if there is a white ring around his eye. The top of his head has some light colored spots and his color is really faded. But that is all I can tell. Maybe the pictures tomorrow will show more under better light.

I see the fin rot. It looks like it's progressed quickly....
I started to see it a while back and did more frequent WC's in his normal cycled tank to try and stay on top of the water param's. But he hid for two days inside his tree root and came out looking worse. that is when I moved him into QT

A bacterial infection can cause the fin rot, eye problems, red sores. These are all external issues.

Is he bloated at all? Since he's lying on his side, it may be affecting him internally, too.
He doesn't really look bloated plus his appetite has left him a little skinny...so it's hard to tell. He can still swim really well but when he stops he starts to list to one side or the other. so I can't tell if his SB is having trouble

Since you're expecting the Kanaplex to arrive tomorrow, I'd go ahead and use that. It's a good broad-spectrum antibiotic, and it's one of the few that treats both external and internal bacterial infections.

If for some reason the Kanaplex doesn't arrive, rather than waiting, I'd try using the Jungle Fungus Clear that you have on hand. It would be effective against many types of external infections, but wouldn't help for internal ones..... Or you could try a sulfa med, such as API Triple Sulfa. (Don't use this if you're allergic to sulfa meds though.)
When he went into QT I was going to give him four days on just ES and if he didn't improve switch to meds. I will pick up the Triple Sulfa if for some reason the first two meds don't work. Should I continue with the ES while doing the meds or only stick to one thing at a time.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:29 PM   #10 
InfiniteGlory

I haven't done a WC yet so no new pictures, but my KanaPlex arrived.

I purchased the 5 gram tube of powder and don't know how to dose it. According to the directions one scoop (180mg) treats 5 US Gallons. I don't have a scale to measure out 36mg which would treat 1 gallon.

Please help