Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #1 
Galaxy

Fish with cuts? Torn fins? Help!

What size is your tank? 5.5gallon
What temperature is your tank? 76-80 (usually 78)
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? NO
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellet of Aqueon Betta Food a day
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day - 2 pellets in morning, 1 pellet in evening

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 weekly - I got a new tank which I've started to cycle, so I've done lots of water changes in the last week due to ammonia being at .25 ppm.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% (with gravel vacuum, and w/o)
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: --
Alkalinity: --

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A rip in the middle of /both/ pectoral fins, a rip down the middle of her caudal fin, and red looking scrapes/cuts on either side of her head near her gills.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Same - always swimming around, but lately has been exploring tank more instead of swimming constantly

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I noticed the cut fins near the beginning of this week, and I put in some Stress Guard. The red cuts on both sides of her head near gills I spotted today.

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
I have not yet. I'm doing 100% water change now, I will add aquarium salt and stress guard when I put in new water. I added a new castle ornament earlier this week which may have hurt her, which i took out, and I also removed her betta log. I kept all her silk plants in the tank.

Does your fish have any history of being ill? No. She's always been very healthy up until now!

How old is your fish (approximately)? I've had her for about 3 months (bought at Petco)
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #2 
relaxedcrazyman

did you check the castle for sharp edges (pantyhose test)? i used some sandpaper on my spongebob pineapple because of sharp edges.

aquarium salt and stress guard are a good place to start. with the castle out keep a close eye for more damage. if not it was your castle.
relaxedcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #3 
Galaxy

Yes, I'm thinking it was. :( It was such a cute castle. I ran my fingers over the castle outside, and although a bit rough, I thought it would be fine. There were sharp edges on the inside of the castle though. I took non-toxic hot glue and coated all the sharp edge well, then painted with black acrylic paint. It looked fine. I'm thinking the castle was to rough on the outside, since the inside was completely smooth after I used hot glue.

I'll have to see if I have extra pant hose lying around. I thought I could maybe tell just by checking with my hands, but that was a bad idea. :(

Here's the castle I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/Hobbit-Castle-...cm_rdp_product

Don't buy it guys. :(
Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM   #4 
Galaxy

Oh, and I don't really understand Stress Guard.

Do I use it instead of Prime?

Or is Prime the water conditioner and Stress guard the stuff to heal the fish?

Should I just use the stress guard or both? :/
Old 01-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #5 
relaxedcrazyman

it was excellent of you to coat the inside sharp edges with the hot glue, from what i have heard, it can sometimes fall off since it isnt really meant for underwater application. most people use silicone for that.

it doesnt seem like that outside is really rough enough to do that much damage, but i dont know for sure. best bet would be to leave it out for a couple of weeks and see if there is any additional damage without it in.

prime is and excellent water conditioner (recommend by many here) and it should be used in the tap water before water changes. stress guard is more of a supplement for the fish the help develop a natural coating (slime coat) on the fish that helps guard from infection and such.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:24 PM   #6 
Galaxy

Yes, I was a bit excited to get the castle in the tank, and since I heard about the hot glue trick, I tried it. I just checked, and none of the hot glue has come off. So, she didn't get it from inside the castle. Maybe the cuts on her sides she got from the outside.

But, now that I'm thinking about it, the castle came Tuesday. She had cuts in her fins before that, but I have no clue what could've caused them. There aren't any sharp edges on her betta log, acorn home (ceramic home meant for hamsters) or silk plants.

Unless the silk plants are the culprits. o.o I don't know....

Ah, thank you! I'm glad I asked. I'll put prime and stress guard in then. ^_^

Wait! Maybe the new filter did it? Maybe that's plausible. :o It's the filter that came with the 5.5G Top Fin aquarium starter kit. It doesn't say /which/ filter, just that it's a top fin filter. It's non-adjustable, but I have it buffered with a water bottle, and my fish doesn't seem to mind. (I've had this new tank for about 2-3 weeks now. Bought it at Christmas time)

Maybe she got hurt where the water gets sucked up into the filter? I didn't really notice the pull under the water myself, but maybe she came close and it did something? ;A;

Is it okay if I leave the silk plants in her tank while she's healing? D:

Last edited by Galaxy; 01-10-2014 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #7 
Galaxy

Ah! Also, how often should I do water changed now? 100%? 50%? Every other day? Twice a week?
Old 01-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #8 
Galaxy

Here's her current set up after the water change:

You can see the cuts in 2 of her fins. (she has cuts in 3). You can't really see the scrapes/cuts on her sides since she isn't turned side ways. It's hard to get a picture.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:17 PM   #9 
relaxedcrazyman

could be from the filter, especially if it was from before the castle arrived. seems like the castle would be safe.

i did catch my little buddy almost getting some fin damage from the filter intake. one way to alleviate that is to put a small sponge fitting over the intake, it will house beneficial bacterial as well as keep your little betta from getting damaged.

i completely took out my HOB filter and replaced it with a sponge filter. the current from the HOB was bother my little guy so i just got rid of it.

have you noticed your betta running or crashing into things?

is the tank cycled? for my 2.5gallon tank, i do a 50% change about twice a week.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #10 
Galaxy

My mom suggested that it might be the water bottle buffer since she swims around it frequently. I'll try to find a sponge to go over the filter intake then. Or else I think I've seen someone tie panty hose over that. If I can't find a sponge, I think I'll try panty hose. My filter doesn't seem to bother my fish thankfully. She's a strong swimmer, and doesn't seem bothered by the limited current. ^^

But, maybe I'll invest in a sponge filter some day...

Maybe the castle is okay then. :/ I'll have to see.

I just bought this tank a couple weeks ago. I started the cycling progress, but it's no where near finished. So far I just have a little ammonia and some nitrate. No nitrite. I've been changing the water whenever ammonia goes up. Think I'll stick to 2 times a week?

I'll be going back to college soon. :/