Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #1 
Alba

I need help ._.

Well I have a 55gallon aquarium with nothing in it, and Im letting it filter out for two weeks before I put anything in it.
I still have Elaine, and she is nice and healthy. I wanted to purchase two more female bettas so I could put them and Elaine in the 55g. However I want more fish, but I dont want to loose Elaine, so I was wondering what I shouldnt put in there.
I really want to get mollies and platys, with a few pleco to keep the algea under control. I was thinking maybe 10 mollies and 10 platys, with the three female bettas and few algea eaters. Would this be okay? I really dont want anything to happen to my precious bettas.
I do have another option though. I could go ahead and set up the 10g and put Elaine and two other females in there with her and that would be it, and then put the 20mollies/platys in the 55g along with the pleco. But I would want to add some more to the 55g if I do that. Maybe a pair of small cichlids? Like I said before, I have been out of the fish hobby for a few years and went into dogs and know that Im back in, I completely forgot everything :/
Alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #2 
Alba

I just wanted to add that Ive really abandond my betta breeding plans the past few weeks. But I have decided to breed Elaine and no matter what I am getting two more females. Then I will have to decide on a male that will be good for my program. Its all going a little slow with the cleaning of my 55g and the new dog, I was afraid it would turn out like last time, but I highly doubt that now.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

It would be better to have at least 4 females because the more females you have, the more it spreads out the aggression. If you just have 3, then 2 will bully the third one. I'm not sure about the mollies and platies and I'm not sure about the pleco either, except that they can get pretty big.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

I probably wouldn't get more then one or two of the plecos.
That's really all the advice I can give you, but good luck with whatever you choose! :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Otos or corys are a nice addition to a tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:07 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Maybe consider one of the smaller types of plecos for your tank. Like a rubbernose pleco. The common plecos get huge and aggressive.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #7 
Alba

I'll most likely get something like that, but I dont think my local petstore carries common plecos anyway.
Considering I have to have that many females and Im on a low budget right now, I think I will have to wait yet another month or two to get my breeding plan going. I was pushing it even when I said two more females.