Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM   #1 
kuklachica

White spot

I wasn't sure where to post this since it is a pic...

I have been gone for 2 days and came back and one of my guys has a white spot below his eye. It's not **too** white (only can see it in certain light, almost like metalic areas). I am not sure if it is a spot, or more of his metalic overlay spreading (since he has gotten more and more since I purchased him). He is acting 100% fine and I have not seen him rub on anything. I am trying to cycle the tank, so am not sure if I should treat for ich (if it is ich) or wait and see? Does treatment for ich interrupt a cycle process? Here is a picture of his spot. It is near his right eye and almost looks like my camera had a piece of dust on it. The other guys in the tank don't seem to have anything on them, but they are light colored (and one is pure white!) so it is hard to tell. Any advice would be appreciated. I have turned their temp up from 80* to about 84ish in case I need to treat for ich.

kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #2 
MollyJean

It doesn't really look like Ich to me.. It almost looks like it's a single scale that's lost it's color, which is kind of strange. I really don't know if it would effect your cycle to treat him, but if it IS ich, it's so early, you could probably wait another day and see if there is more tomorrow.
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
kuklachica

Yeah... I think I will wait. His turquoise coloring keeps creeping down further and further (as you can see near his top fin) and it almost looks like one of those spots has creeped down to his face... I'll keep an eye on him.

Thank you for the help!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM   #4 
MollyJean

As long as that really is his coloring and not something else.. Just to be safe, a little salt never hurts, right?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 
kuklachica

argh! could it be something else?? that is him in my avatar. He's never acted funny (besides trying to jump out at me every time I open the lid! :) He has been in salted water for the past 3 weeks (1 tbsp / 5 gall) and even had some salt baths since one of his buddies had fin rot from the LPS (thought giving him a concentrated bath wouldn't hurt). So the water he is in now has the diluted salt in it...

should I medicate him just in case in a separate tank??? or just keep an eye on him?
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM   #6 
MollyJean

Well if you've been salting him for that long, then I doubt it's something else. Ich doesn't spread like that, it's not any fungus I've ever seen, but I haven't seen it all. I'm being nosy, but do you have a larger version of your avatar picture? I wanna see it close up. If he's silver or gold, it might just be growing back.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:51 PM   #7 
kuklachica

I just looked at him with a flashlight and it actually looks like he is MISSING a scale, almost like a divot missing, rather than an odd coloring. I think he may have been mad at one of his tank-mates and attacked the divider a little too vigorously. But here are some close-ups of him, so you can see the color as well.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #8 
MollyJean

wow.. he really is pretty. It looks like someone just tossed a bucket of paint on him! I've never seen markings like that on the top, but the tail looks normal, so it's all color, for sure.

Wondering if maybe he backed up under one of those plants I see there and popped a scale off.