Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #1 
soundwave

White things near gill, don't know what it is

Previous thread

I noticed today these white things are back. They disappeared and I didn't treat him with salt or medicine or anything, thinking he was better. Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to treat it? I haven't seen anything like it online. It may be a little swollen around the area. His behavior and appetite is normal, though he hasn't made a bubblenest in a like 2 months.

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 Gal
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3x pellets in morning, 2 or 3 evening. Weekly 24 hr fast

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Seachem Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:--
Nitrite:--
Nitrate:--
pH:--
Hardness:--
Alkalinity: --

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Raised gill, white raised spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't
When did you start noticing the symptoms? initially in November and again now
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 12 months?
Attached Images

Last edited by soundwave; 01-09-2014 at 04:03 PM.
soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:14 AM   #2 
Jetcasey123

Your betta most likely has Ich. You probably noticed that it left because it laches onto the body for four days then falls off to multiply. If you follow these steps correctly he will have a very good chance to survive :).

First take him out of the water he is currently in and put him into a fresh bowl of water treated with water conditioner, heated to the right tempature. Bettas are tropical and like warm temps (72F-82F). Also Ich likes cold tempature so the heat will
Keep it from thriving. Second, get a medicine for betta fish that is anti parasitic. Ich is a parasite. In the ingredients look for at least one of these two ingredients: malachite green or/and methylene blue. Check for at least one of these before buying it. Follow the directions on the bottle and measure it. While Ich is on your betta the medicine won't kill it since it is attached so even when you don't see any on the fish add the medicine. When they aren't on the betta the medicine will kill them. While treating your betta do 25% water changes evEry day. Continue doing this for about 5 days or however long the directions on your medication tells you to.

Now that you're betta is treated you need to clean your tank. If you have any decorations take them out and clean them. If you have live plants it's a good idea to get rid of them if you don't want the Ich to come back. Take out any rocks and thoroughly rinse them. To prevent Ich from happening I use aquarium salt. This prevents Ich and other parasites and illnesses. DO NOT PUT AQUARIUM SALT INTO YOUR TANK WHILE THE FISH IS IN IT. THE FISH WILL TRY TO EAT IT AND POISON IT'S SELF. I hope your fish gets better and tell my how this worked for you! :)
Jetcasey123 is offline   Reply With Quote