Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 AM   #1 
Gizmo

Unhappy sick fish!! help!!

I'm freaking out because i just got my fish and have had him a week tomorrow and he's barely been eating since I got him, the last few days his color on his body seems to be darkening and yesterday sores showed up on one of his fins. Not sure what to do! I can get any meds or anything tomorrow for him but I can't get a bigger tank or heater until wednesday. So if I need meds i need to know what to get to treat him tomorrow! Please help!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? room temp- working on getting a heater
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?No

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega flakes and Omega bloodworm treats
How often do you feed your betta fish? once a day, tiny pinch

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? I've done twice since i got him on sunday 1/9/14
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I have a silver/white elephant ear male, his body is getting darker and on his one fin he has 2 red sores
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lethargic, rubs up against pebbles on the bottom of tank, when he's on the bottom sometimes he noses/dives against the pebbles on the bottom
When did you start noticing the symptoms? yesterday the sores showed up, 2 or 3 days he's slowly been darkening
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? i don't know what to do, did another water change today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no idea, just got him sunday
How old is your fish (approximately)? just got him from petco sunday 1/9/14
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:08 AM   #2 
NikiD

Can you post pictures?
NikiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:14 AM   #3 
Gizmo

yea give me a couple minutes and ill get pictures up. his fins also look a little ragged and they've been that way since i got him
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 AM   #4 
Gizmo

Here's the pictures I could take, I have one with a flash and the rest without. You'll see the red sores a little bit on the one fin on the bottom. Like I said earlier his fins look a little ragged too and they've been like that since I got him.
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #5 
NikiD

He's a pretty boy :) What's his name?

Do you have any plants or decorations in the tank with him? I'm just wondering if maybe he damaged his fins on something.

How is he acting today? Sometimes it takes a few days for fish to get comfortable in their new tanks and the nose-diving may be him picking up food bits from the bottom of the tank. Do you know if he's pooped? What color was it?

The darker gold coming in looks like it may just be his normal coloring. When you shine a flashlight on him, are his scales clean? Or does it look like there is dust on them? Velvet is a common parasite that causes some of the symptoms you're describing, but it is visible as a gold 'dust' on the fish's scales. I can't tell from your pics if that is the case for your fish or not.
Also, his lethargy and lack of appetite could be just because he is cold.

A larger tank and warm water will definitely help him, glad you're going to be able to get those for him. Until then, I would keep up on the water changes like you have been.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in dealing with velvet can chime in with their thoughts :)
Old 01-12-2014, 01:09 PM   #6 
Gizmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikiD View Post
He's a pretty boy :) What's his name?

Do you have any plants or decorations in the tank with him? I'm just wondering if maybe he damaged his fins on something.

How is he acting today? Sometimes it takes a few days for fish to get comfortable in their new tanks and the nose-diving may be him picking up food bits from the bottom of the tank. Do you know if he's pooped? What color was it?

The darker gold coming in looks like it may just be his normal coloring. When you shine a flashlight on him, are his scales clean? Or does it look like there is dust on them? Velvet is a common parasite that causes some of the symptoms you're describing, but it is visible as a gold 'dust' on the fish's scales. I can't tell from your pics if that is the case for your fish or not.
Also, his lethargy and lack of appetite could be just because he is cold.

A larger tank and warm water will definitely help him, glad you're going to be able to get those for him. Until then, I would keep up on the water changes like you have been.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable in dealing with velvet can chime in with their thoughts :)
Thanks! His name is Gizmo :) I will check him out with a flashlight but he doesn't have anything in his tank besides the pebbles. I had some fake plastic plants in his tank but took them out already before the sores showed up. I added some salt to his tank last night like it said in the one sticky and I'm planning on getting the stress coat stuff today. Possibly a heater if I can find one that will work with the small tank, if not, I'll get one on wednesday and a little bigger tank for him. Also not sure if he's had a bowel movement or not since I haven't seen him do it.

Last edited by Gizmo; 01-12-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:04 AM   #7 
NikiD

How is Gizmo feeling?
Old 01-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #8 
Gizmo

I got him a heater, stress coat, and melafix. He seems to be doing mostly better. I have to change his water tonight so well see how he does again. His sores are basically gone. His one eye has been bigger than the other since I got him and I don't think it's bugging out more than usual but I've been keeping an eye on it. He's eating better now but seems to really only like bloodworms. Not too keen on any of the food I've gotten him.. Kinda a picky eater apparently lol but for the most part he seems a lot better so far! Thanks for asking!
Old 01-20-2014, 05:05 PM   #9 
duskydolphin

Glad to hear he's doing better! Those bloody sores look like the beginnings of fin rot to me. His fins have a ragged look so I would guess that he's probably had it in the past before you got him. It could just be that the new living quarters and cool water have been stressing him out, which would weaken his immune system's ability to fight off the bacteria that cause the rot. The heater should help his energy and he should be fine once his appetite starts to pick up. Frequent water changes will help keep his water clean and the fin rot away. But it sounds like you're doing that already :)

He looks like he's just naturally yellow with some black edging on his scales. Very pretty elephant ear betta!!
duskydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote