Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2014, 07:51 AM   #1 
Kiara1125

Super ich - a new generation

My tank had an outbreak of super ich that killed my platies, angelfish, and oto. Now, I only have my female betta and a bristlenose pleco left. She isn't clamping her tail as much anymore, but she's still in bad condition. All I can do is add salt right now, since my heater broke and the tank is currently at 68F. I no longer know what to do, as she is hiding all day and I rarely see her. She doesn't eat, yet she's not losing weight. Ich is ALL over her body, worse than I've ever seen it (although there would probably be more if the temperature was higher). It's been going on for almost two weeks now and it's not showing any signs of letting up. What can I do to help out my girl instead of letting her suffer? At this point, I don't know how much longer she'll survive. All I have on me in aquarium and epsom salt. Again, the heater broke (my fault - temperature fluctuation from the air and water ... I wasn't thinking) and the CFLs are providing enough heat to keep the tank at 68F in the day time. It's about 65F in the night time. I know this is "too cold" for a betta, but they're hardy. Also, she was living into a bowl (while I was temporarily moving around and had no heater available) for a month at approximately 45F temperatures during the daytime. Can someone please help my girl?
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

I know its frustrating to have to fill out such a long sheet but if you can fill this in and possibly provide pictures it would really help us. It has all the questions we need answered to give you useful treatment information for her.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #3 
Kiara1125

Sorry about that.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10g
What temperature is your tank? 65-68F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but I only run it for water circulation ... it doesn't have any carbon ... plants take care of the cycle
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No; just the filter
Is your tank heated? No, heater broke and I can't get another one
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Before: 1 angelfish, 2 platies, 1 oto, 1 bristlenose pleco ... Now: 1 bristlenose pleco

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? A large mixture of OmegaOne, Hikari, and Tetra pellets, along with freeze-dried bloodworms and shrimp pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day, but recently once every few days

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About 35% ... plants take care of everything pretty much
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Just AquaSafe

Water Parameters
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.6
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Covered in ich and has partially clamped fins
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Hiding a lot and being listless
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Got ich two weeks ago - just noticed the symptoms about 4-5 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes; put about a tablespoon of aquarium salt in the tank ... no improvement
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No - has always been healthy
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 8-10 months old
Old 01-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #4 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Okay looking at your parameters, the only thing that needs to be adressed in future is an heater. bettas prefer to be at a temp of about 78/80F so yours is likely a bit chilly, but then again it is likely slowing the ich down so its a blessing this time around. The heater can be sorted out once shes feeling better.

keep in mind without a picture I'm going on the true assumption it is ich as you have surmised.

Now if the AQ salt isnt working its time to go on the offensive. A good multi cure is your first bet for a soft yet targeted approach, however if you feel its time to get really agressive on the illnesses/you see your remaining fish beginning to flag badly it is time to think of stronger treatments. I believe one available in the US is called jungle cure? It is highly recommended by many here (I do not have acess to that brand so the full name slips my mind- certainly called jungle something). These will get rid of that ich and give your girls time to calm down in peace and kill any nasties lurking in the tank water.

Without some sort of water cure added at this stage its a given any new fish you add will simply get the same infection. However while you organise a treatment you can perform a tank blackout to try and slow the progression- keep the tank as dark as possible under a blanket which will stifle any new fungal growth.

Last edited by Taeanna; 01-30-2014 at 09:37 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #5 
Kiara1125

I'll definitely check it out. My local Walmart has a LOT of Jungle products.

I'm currently away from home, so I'm going to find a comparison picture for you.

It's pretty much like this, but transfer how much is on the fins to the body and then double the amount of ich that is currently on the fins. The pectorcal fins are accurate, but there's ich all over the place. There's barely any patches of just clean scales. It's such a bad outbreak, it looks more like an ich version of velvet.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:55 AM   #6 
Taeanna
Reference Team

Poor babies must be so itchy!
If you want to get something harder while you are out I would also recommend tri sulfa, which will knock it out if it turns out your girls have ended up with white spot/columnaris instead. However since i dont have your tank in front of me I trust that it is a fungal infection after all. Just keep in mind if you dont see them responding to treatment that this is a good other option.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #7 
Kiara1125

I'm positive it's ich. I've had run ins with columnaris and such. Nasty stuff.

She's extremely itchy and I feel terrible! She's constantly flashing against the ludwigia. I might drop by Walmart tonight and check to see what they have. It's usually my LFS that has the powerful stuff like Tri Sulfa and Maracyn I & II. Walmart isn't that reliant. But, I'll swing by and see what they have. Hopefully she won't be suffering too bad. It reminds me when I got chigger bites all up and down my legs a month ago. Ugh!