Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #1 
aquagreen

Help! Fish jumped out....

I don't know how he managed to get through the top lid of the tank, the surrounding crack is so small, but I just found my baby all dried out on the carpet.... :( I frantically put him back in the water and rubbed him to try to start his heart, and he came back, but he isn't looking good at all...I don't know how long he was out and can't believe he's even back. :( His eyes are cloudy and now he's sucking air at the top of his tank, barely swimming...I don't think he's going to make it.

Is there anything I can do????

I have to leave for work in a few minutes and I'm afraid that all I did in trying to revive him was prolong his torture. :(
aquagreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #2 
aquagreen

He was swimming a little just now but I think even if he manages to survive, he's already blind.
Omg I'm so upset. I'm shaking.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:45 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

If he's having trouble swimming, you can lower the water level so that he doesn't have to swim as far to reach the surface.

Then, cover the top of the tank with plastic food wrap (Saran, Glad, etc). This will increase the humidity level of the air, and make it easier for him to breathe. (Be sure that there are at least a few inches of air between the water and wrap!)

Keep him in warm, clean water. Feed him nutritious food.... Bettas are very hardy fish, so it's possible that his body may be able to repair the damage. Hopefully, any damage, including the cloudy eyes, will improve now that he's back in the tank.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #4 
aquagreen

You think it's possible? Oh man I will be so happy if he makes it out of this alive. Stupid tank lid is getting altered for sure! :(

What would be the best type of food to feed him right now? I'm so scared he's blind and won't be able to see it. He was acting blind. Of course all of this had to happen right before I left for work...now my husband is watching him. He's out getting saran wrap right now.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #5 
LittleBlueFishlets

On this forum, two foods are often recommended:
- New Life Spectrum Betta pellets
- Omega One Betta Buffet

Some people also have reported good results using VitaChem. I haven't used it, but it's a vitamin/amino acid supplement that gets added directly to the tank. It's available on the Drs Foster and Smith website. It may be helpful at supplying nutrients, if he's having trouble eating his regular food.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #6 
aquagreen

Thanks so much for your responses.
I can't wait to get home...I'm so anxious. My husband says he is occasionally swimming though. I will order some of the vitachem to hopefully help him recuperate.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #7 
haveyouhadyourteayet

I would have absolutely died if I found one of my guys like that!! Sending wet swimmy thoughts his/your way!! Bettas are crazy though though, sounds like the worst is past!

Although a blind fishy would be pretty cute... So there's always that.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #8 
aquagreen

He was pretty cute to begin with. :( I get what you're saying though and really appreciate your sweet sentiments. I'm just more concerned about him being able to find his food if he turns out to be permanently blind. But yeah, this was very rattling. My stomach has been upset ever since it happened. I can't wait to get home and check on him. I sort of want to add some melafix to the water but at the same time I don't want to stress him further. I think I'll just try to give him some dark and some time. Also ordering the vitachem.

Thank you so much for sending nice thoughts our way. <3 I really fell in love with this little bugger the moment I saw him, and I've only had him 2 weeks. He's still not much more than a baby.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #9 
isntanything

Try not to worry too much about the blindness.

Even if that does happen, he can still thrive. There's no competition for food (i.e. other fish), so he should just get along fine with his other senses.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:41 PM   #10 
aquagreen

Thank you. I just hate the way his eyes looked before I left the house...so cloudy and not really alive. I just want my healthy baby back. Feel so bad for him.