Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 12:53 AM   #1 
Tree

lymthocystis getting larger T^T

So my boy Tuna has this white lump which I think is lymthocystis and it is getting larger. Is there really nothing to stop it from growing? I am worried that it will get so large that he will not be able to swim up for air. As of right now he is just fine and swimming around but when the time comes I might have to put him down. T^T

He is in a filtered, live planted 2.6 gallon tank right now I am giving him the best of life until the end. <3

here is the before when the lump was smaller:

and here is the lump now, he has changed a lot though and he is one lucky fish that I adopted him. =)

Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #2 
Betta Nut

From what I've read about it Tree, it's only fatal if it grows somewhere like gills or mouth and interferes with basic functions. The growths usually fall off, leaving a sore behind that heals, just have to watch for an infection.
He'll probably show no signs of distress from it ever, unless it grows in a bad spot. I don't think there is anything you can do, but I also think he'll be around a long time to come :)

Oh and you probably know this, but it's really contagious to other fish, fortunately not humans, especially when the bumps fall off, so don't share anything between him and your others!

PS... what's that at his butt? sorta looks like maybe you circled it?

Last edited by Betta Nut; 01-12-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:47 PM   #3 
LittleBlueFishlets

How much time passed between photo 1 and photo 2? (This will give us an idea of how quickly it's growing.)

You have excellent photography skills. Any chance of getting a close-up of the lump?

As BettaNut said, lymphocystis is usually not fatal unless it grows in places that interfere with the basic functions such as eating or breathing. His is in a place that doesn't interfere with these. Also, most fish can fight it off within a few months. So if you reduce stress, keep him comfortable and well-fed, it's likely that his immune system can fight off the virus.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #4 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Nut View Post
From what I've read about it Tree, it's only fatal if it grows somewhere like gills or mouth and interferes with basic functions. The growths usually fall off, leaving a sore behind that heals, just have to watch for an infection.
He'll probably show no signs of distress from it ever, unless it grows in a bad spot. I don't think there is anything you can do, but I also think he'll be around a long time to come :)

Oh and you probably know this, but it's really contagious to other fish, fortunately not humans, especially when the bumps fall off, so don't share anything between him and your others!

PS... what's that at his butt? sorta looks like maybe you circled it?
Well that's good that is not by his gills or mouth. ^^ And yeah there are no signs of infection whatsoever, just a large looking cauliflower lump.

Yeah I knew it was contagious but will very hot water clean the gravel vacuum with each use be ok? I have been doing that and nothing out of the ordinary is happening with my boys and my one girl. Though I might have to make my own vacuum like I have done with my sisters fish for each of them. =)

Oh, HAHAHA that is his fin all curled up and the circle is a water spot. hehe it kinda looks like white poo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
How much time passed between photo 1 and photo 2? (This will give us an idea of how quickly it's growing.)

You have excellent photography skills. Any chance of getting a close-up of the lump?

As BettaNut said, lymphocystis is usually not fatal unless it grows in places that interfere with the basic functions such as eating or breathing. His is in a place that doesn't interfere with these. Also, most fish can fight it off within a few months. So if you reduce stress, keep him comfortable and well-fed, it's likely that his immune system can fight off the virus.
I bought him on Oct, 31st 2013, Halloween. So about a little over two months. T^T

and thanks! yeah I will take a shot of his lump again soon. ^^
That is good to hear. <3 I hope it will stop growing but having him for that short of time I fear that it might keep growing at that rate.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #5 
Tree

this is the closest I can get to the limp. he's a wiggle wort too. XD

Old 01-13-2014, 12:28 AM   #6 
LittleBlueFishlets

It says the image was moved or deleted. But that's OK. Cauliflower-like growths are often due to either lymphocystis or tumors. Neither one can be treated, and Lymphocystis is supposedly pretty common.

If you want to do something, (and have the money to order it,) look into VitaChem. It's an amino acid/vitamin supplement that gets added directly to the water. I haven't used it, but a lot of people highly recommend it. It's available on the Drs Foster and Smith website. It won't treat the lymphocystis directly, but it may help the fish's immune system fight it off.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #7 
Tree

Oh shoot! I was cleaning up Photobucket XD here:

Old 01-14-2014, 10:06 PM   #8 
LittleBlueFishlets

As I said - you have excellent photography skills.

I would just monitor him awhile longer, and see what happens. Keep him happy, reduce stress, feed him a good diet, keep his water clean and warm.... and hopefully, his body will fight it off soon.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:15 PM   #9 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
As I said - you have excellent photography skills.

I would just monitor him awhile longer, and see what happens. Keep him happy, reduce stress, feed him a good diet, keep his water clean and warm.... and hopefully, his body will fight it off soon.
thanks <3

I feed him Omega one and his tank is a good 78 degrees.
I was thinking about getting a Nerite snail for him for the algae build up but I am worried that he might attack it. out of my four fish, he is the one that kills snails. lol