Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2009, 12:50 AM   #1 
New2Betas

Arrow How do you do a fishless cycle?

Alright I've been reading and I hear that its best to cycle your tank with 0 fish and use ammonia from the hardware store. That the tank will cycle in just a couple of weeks, no water changed are needed during the cycle, and you can stock your tank fully at the end of the cycle. Is this so? I need to cycle a 20 and a 10 gallon. Has anyone does a fish less cycle and if so how did you do it? How long did it take? Please no links, I only want 1st hand experience. Thanks!
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:27 AM   #2 

Have used the method you describe. Is important to get pure ammonia . You do not want ammonia that has additives such as surfactants (detergents). An eye dropper or baby medicine dose dropper are needed.
Simply add 3to 5 drops of ammonia per 10 gal each day to maintain 4 to 5 ppm ammonia in the tank. You will want to use a quality test kit such as API freshwater master kit to monitor for nitrites. Prolly won't see nitrites for a couple weeks,maybe a bit sooner. Once nitrites show up on test kit, then you can reduce drops of ammonia to 2 to 3 drops per 10 gal daily until nitrites and ammonia test zero.
then perform 70 to 80 percent water change using dechlorinator just before you introduce fish.
Another method is to use a pinch of flake food each day in the tank for approx three weeks while monitoring for nitrites. When nitrites and ammonia test zero, (approx three weeks,) perform 50 percent water change and then continue with weekly water changes of 20 to 25 percent each week from then on. Should note that both methods take approx same length of time.
Do not clean the filter material during the process as this is where the majority of good bacteria will be building. Never clean filter material in tapwater but rather use old aquarium water that you draw out during weekly water changes.
Irresepective of what some claim,, after the tank has matured, (cycled) Is always best to add fish slowly whether you use ammonia method,or fish food method.Hope this helps.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:22 AM   #3 
New2Betas

Could I use goldfish granules instead of flakes?
Old 11-30-2009, 09:44 AM   #4 

Would in my view be fine. Crush the granules into powder with your fingers.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:53 AM   #5 
New2Betas

Sounds great will do, so maybe 2 or 3 granules?

Any idea where I can find an API freshwater master kit thats not going to cost $33?
Old 11-30-2009, 10:16 AM   #6 

Two or three granules would do. you might try www.FosterSmith.com or other online store for cheaper price on the test kit.