Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-12-2014, 12:30 PM   #1 
BettaBros

What is she?

This is what I am going to breed with my rescue. He's a CT and I think she is a VT Or HM. What will I get. He is not glaring all the way he's just uncomfortable because of his popeye.

This is the female.
BettaBros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:38 PM   #2 
isntanything

If your CT has popeye you shouldn't be breeding him. You'll just risk spreading an infection.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:20 PM   #3 
BettaBros

I'm not breeding him now. I'm waiting till he is healed to breed him.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM   #4 
isntanything

Well the female looks like a VT to me (not enough rays for a HM). VT genes are dominant so the fry would likely be mostly VT with maybe a few CTs and/or combtails.

Breeding is a massive undertaking though and you need a lot of equipment and knowledge to do it properly. I wish you good luck.
isntanything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #5 
BettaBros

I already tried and I have 7 left. I have everything prepared and ready I think I know what I did wrong the first time too. I kept the water level too high so they weren't able to easily find food. That's my guess at least.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #6 
DJH

Looks like a veil tail to me too, having studied genetics a little I think you will have a partially crowned veil tail or VTCT. Reason being, Veil tail is dominant, half moon is recessive and Crown tail is intermediary. How it works: (look up punnet square if you are new to genetics) Assuming your female is a solid veil tale (VTVT) and your crown tail was acquired as a full crowntail (CTCT) the resultant offspring will ALL be CTVT, so a veil structure with rays partially extending. If your veil tail is hiding some halfmoon genes (unlikely if store bought) then you would have 50% HMCT and 50% CTVT. CTVT are known as combtails sometimes.

Ill be honest, many people recommend against mixing tail types, but hey if you never try you'll never know! :)

If you are hoping to get crowntails but can't find another female, theoretically since 100% of the first generation should be VTCT, any two can then breed to give 25% VT's 50% VTCT and 25% crowntails, but that would set you back a year :)

p.s. if the offspring are pretty cool, it will be difficult to form a good line, because in theory only 50% of any generation from that point will be CTVT. have fun!
DJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #7 
BettaBros

Thanks

that helped a lot!!! I want to find another female that is a CT, but all the pet stores around here are not carrying them anymore. I want to keep my males white streak on his head. That is the most important thing I would like to keep.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:58 PM   #8 
DJH

Assuming that was aimed at me then you are welcome! That's a shame, if you are unable to find some or order online then I guess you will have to breed your own! Unfortunately I think the white stripe may be difficult to keep as scale patterns don't tend to get passed on, but you can try! The fist generation will look messy, but pick some healthy ones with the colours you are after then the second generation should have some great crown tails! Hang in their, get the best coloured crown tails then you can start your line be patient, once you have the right fins you can start your search for the right colour patterns :) and let us see some pictures of the babies!
Old 01-12-2014, 11:20 PM   #9 
DJH

Sorry I just had another thought, if you are willing to breed your crown tail with one of the female offspring (common practice called line breeding, I think) then you should get 75% crown tails in the second generation and much better colour! It's a bit weird at first I know, but it's what most professional breeders do occasionally to ensure their lines are on the right track :)
Old 01-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #10 
BettaBros

That is what I have read. They do that for all types of breeding. I might keep looking for a CT female though. I am really looking forward to breeding with him when he gets better. I really want to see light blue and a little white from the spawn. Is that possible??