Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Question Would it be considered cruelty

Would it be cruelty if I kept my beta in a 1 gallon tank? I'm reading a LOT of stuff on yahoo answers that says they need at least a 2 gallon. I don't wanna hurt my future buddy but I also don't know if I have the room for a 2 gallon.
Any suggestions/advice? =[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:36 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I have a couple 1Gs and my fish are fine, but you have to clean the tank 2 to 3 times a week. Do you have water conditioner? This helps protect the fish from chemicals in your tap water. I don't have heaters for mine, but I'm sure you can find one.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

I haven't bought anything at all yet! XD And thank you so much for replying! <=]
Good! =] I can't wait to go to petco and check out their critter keepers, b/c a 2 gallon seems cheap! =] If it's cheap enough and I can find a place to put it then I'll defiantely have one after christmas! =]
Old 11-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Yes! I'd definitely go for the 2 gallon critter keeper if you can. They are great and you can put a mini heater in it to keep it at a decent temp.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Mine do fine in 1 gallons as long as I keep up with the water changes.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #6 
kelly528

To be completely honest, I would not take on a betta if I had to keep it in a 1g... I have thought about it-- I still have Lou's 1g bowl but that would just be irresponsible to knowingly neglect an animal. Don't get me wrong, a 1g can be feasible but only if you can change it every 2-3 days, heat it and provide enough mental stimulation for the betta. But unless you are a Taiwanese betta breeder, this is probably more trouble than it's worth!

Be aware that 1g should only be attempted by experienced fish keepers IMO. Like DQ mentioned you really have to keep up with the water changes, temperature and generally know what oyu are doing because parameters eg temperature, pH and ammonia change really fast in a 1g bowl. You will do yourself a huge favor long-term by just going with a 5g from the start.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats the drawback to 1 gallons. They can't be heated. I do heat my 1.5 and 2.5 critter keepers.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #8 
AlexXx

Temperary would be alright, but as mentioned above i would try to get a little bigger tank. You can find critter keepers or just standard 2.5 tanks any fish or pet store u wont have to spend more then 15 bux.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #9 
Elaina

You can find some really great deals on Craigslist as well. That's where I've gotten all my tanks. I have 2-10gals, 1-5gal, and 1-2gal, and I haven't paid more than $30 and everything was included with all of them.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 11:32 PM   #10 
wallywestisthebest333

Thanks guys! =] would getting a small submersed filter help with keeping the tank clean as long as it doesn't make too much noise/vibration? And I just found out that they have a 3 gallon tank so I think I'll get that one! =] after all, it's not much of a price difference and it brings me much closer to 5! =] the miniheater you say? *goes to look up*

I have a deep rooted fear of craigslist and ebay. I don't understand how they work and I'm scarred to try it! XD I don't have much money and I don't wanna lose it! TT.TT

Tags
cruelty, gallon, tank