Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 AM   #1 
btljuce

Unhappy I need help, this is bad I know :(

Hello, my name is Courtney and I could really have used help awhile ago, I feel like I fail at owning a fish after browsing around the internet.

This is my betta, I've had him a few months now and obviously I could be doing better, so I am here to learn how to change that, please embrace and do not attack.

He is currently living in a 1.5 gal tank and I have been feeding him topfin freeze dried bloodworms. He doesn't even acknowledge the pellet balls as a food form and that goes the same for flakes. I quit trying to feed him those as he just looked at them and watched them float to the bottom over an hour or so.. but he loves the bloodworms.

Normally I have been changing the water about every week and a half or so since its a larger tank but there isn't a filter on it (I have no idea where to even start on those) but I assumed I didn't need one since its just a 1.5 gal and I heard it was bad to have water flowing. I really need to change the water (I know) its been about 2 weeks.

I'm willing to buy and maintain a larger tank but I don't know the first thing about fish really, we bought him at a Meijer because he looked so dreadful and now I feel like a jerk because I feel his condtion is just as dreadful. :(

Here are three pictures of him, if anyone can tell me if he is suffering from fin rot? or anything else so I know where to start I would appreciate it. He was NOT a full tailed "fanny" when we bought him like the others were he was close to his self now but I think he has dulled.

Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3

Please, any and all constructive advice is sincerely appreciated and anyone who can walk me through proper water changes will be his and my hero. I try my best to go by tocuh that it isn't too warm or cold, and I am curious if I should buy a water heater, do they make them for a tank that small? Also what is the best thing to use to make the water less harsh? I am just using out tap water at the moment.

I know I have fish idiot written all over me but I am trying to change this!
btljuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 2.5 gallon tank is what is usually recommended. A tank that size can have a heater, whereas smaller ones really can't. You need to use a good water conditioner such as Prime or Aquasafe to make your tap water safe for fish.The water in a 1.5 gallon tank needs to be changed twice a week. Water quality is very important. You may have to change pellet brands because bettas can be very picky eaters.Bloodworms should be fed as a once or twice a week treat.It does look like he has fin rot. I would try some aquarium salt in his water and keep the water very clean.If his fin rot doesn't get any better after a few days, try some Maracyn. You don't necessarily need a filter but a filter definitely helps to keep the water clean. I hope this helps.
ps You won't get attacked here. we're here to help!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:36 AM   #3 
btljuce

oh my god. he has been on a steady diet bloodworms since we got him.. :(
i was reading somewhere that using salt can be benificial but can also burn bettas, i feel horrible right now.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:40 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Its ok, you didn't know. Salt won't burn them unless you use too much. A lot of people here use some in their tanks.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:56 AM   #5 
btljuce

If I get a 5 gallon tomorrow can you recommend a brand of heater to use and how often should that size be cleaned? Thank you for helping me.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 AM   #6 
AngelicScars

5 gallons can be cycled if you'd want to take the route. There are tons of resources on here on how to start cycling and all you need to know about that.
You can actually pick up a nice 5 gallon kit at walmart for $30-$40. The one I bought came with a heater, but I lucked out. Marineland is one brand that I think people have recommended.

I personally do not cycle my 5 gallon and do 50% water changes once a week and 100% water change once every 3-4 weeks.

Most filters have a fast flow that Bettas usually cannot handle. There are ways to slow the flow for your betta though. This being one of them: http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php
I also put these in the intake to help reduce the flow as well: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752987

The pellets I would recommend getting are the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. Those seem to be the only ones my Bettas ever liked. You guy might be so used to the bloodworms that he might refuse the pellets at first. Don't give up, continue to give him the pellets. Remove whatever he doesn't eat. He will eventually catch on that this is what he gets so he'd better eat. Don't worry about "starving" him either, they can go weeks without food.
It looks like he is a little bloated, most likely from the bloodworm diet. I would fast him for a few days then start on the pellets. (Give him about 3-4 pellets a day). It is suggested that you should fast him at least once a week to give his digestive system a rest.
I would also recommend the aquarium salt for the fin rot. You could give him salt baths, instructions on doing that are here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....give+salt+bath

Also, sprinkle a little of the aquarium salt in his tank as a preventative. Make sure you do have a lid on your tank, they do like to jump.

I noticed your 1.5 was bare. Bettas love plants and hiding places to explore. Make sure to get some of those for the new tank.

Well, that is all I can think of. Good luck with everything and do post pics of the new tank when you set it up! :D
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:45 AM   #7 
ScuitoAmi150

He looks like he does have fin rot and maybe is a fin nipper. 2gallons is recommended but 1 1/2 gallons is fine as long as you change the water at least twice a week. You should get a thermometer ---> the water should be between 75-82degrees. If you do need a heater I'd suggest the Hydor Mini Heater. It will heat a tank that size nicely.
ScuitoAmi150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

im so glad that u care enough about him to come here and do some research so you can give him a quality life. bravo to you!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

For a 5 gallon tank, I would recommend a Marineland stealth visitherm heater.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:11 AM   #10 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Don't feel bad, I was doing a lot of things wrong before I came on this site too. Don't be afraid to ask any question, even if you think it's stupid. :) I would also suggest not putting so much gravel in the tank and putting some silk plants in there so he can hide in them. I have the same 1.5G tank for one of my bettas and I got a huge silk plant for him that he loves.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote