Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #1 
nochoramet

Excited!!!!

Ok so there is this long story behind a 20 gallon tank I used to have, and to make a long story short, my dad claimed it for his Oscar, then when he moved Oscar to a 25 gallon Oscar died. Sooo... the 20 gallon is MINE! He gave it to me for free (because technically it was mine in the first place LOL, I had a ball python in it)PLUS a heater and 2 filters! All I need now is dividers, some more decor, and a top! I'm sooooo happy, I'm going to cycle it over Christmas break so when I bring them back up to my dorm they will be all nice and happy in 5 gallons a piece!
So now my questions are these: Divide first then cycle? Or cycle it then make dividers? Fishless or with the fish in there? And how in the world do you move a 20g without messing up the bacteria that are established? Will adding the substrate that is in my 1 gallons make the cycle go faster, and my fish will just go bare bottom tanks for a while?
And if I don't cycle, how much upkeep would that require? Like, how often and what percentage water changes, gravel vac, etc.
Also, the 2 filters are for 5-15 gallons a piece. Should I use both of them? Or just one? My dad told me that the heater kept Oscar's tank at a steady 80 degrees fahrenheit (sp?) Will that be too warm for them or just perfect?
Sorry for all the questions, this will be my first official TANK ever! My one gallons don't count to me, they're totally different in upkeep.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #2 
xXbettagirl121Xx

80* would be perf. Good luck!
xXbettagirl121Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:37 PM   #3 
nochoramet

I need someone to share excitement with! C'mon people, work with me!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would definitely cycle a 20 gallon tank. It's too big to do 100% water changes. I would do a fishless cycle. I would put the dividers in before cycling. Wow, a 20 gallon tank! You'll have a lot of options with a 20 gallon!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #5 
nochoramet

I know! I think I'm just going to divide it up between my 4 boys, because that way they will have 5 gallons a piece, and I'll know they're extremely happy. My dad practically shoved it in my arms, I think he was tired of it sitting around the house. But I am very pleased :]
And thanks for responding!
Old 12-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm happy for you! I'm sure your boys will like all the room.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #7 
nochoramet

I hope so! I'll get pictures up ASAP, before and after I get the tank set up. Um, one quick question, would putting their gravel in their 1g tanks make the cycle kickstart? Since it's kind of used, and not brand new?
But thank you, I'm uber excited, I can not WAIT to get my finals over and get home to start working on it!
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea if it would work or not.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #9 
doggyhog

Defiantly cycle it! Un cycled tanks are a pain. I'd use both filters. It would make it nice and clean and filtered. Hey! You can't have too much filtration!

Adding substrate from another tank works only if it's from an already established. It would help it cycled much much much much better if you have substrate in there though!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #10 
Rain Drop

Aw, that's so cool!
How I wish I had the time, money, and room for a nice big tank x3
Super awesome that your dad gave it back.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote