Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #1 
DragonFish

Midori and Wally

Alright, so my first spawn is officially underway this morning after I came up from getting tea and letting out the dogs to find the two lovebirds embracing! :DD Eeeeeeeee!!! I'm so excited!! x333 I'll get some pictures up later!

Anyway, I noticed Wally wasn't going for the eggs after the embrace....he'd just sort of let of of Midori and then flare and poke her a bit with his nose(not in an aggressive way it seemed, more like a 'O.o; You okay?' thing)so I was kind of worried I'd just have to start all over and there was absolutely no chance with this batch at all....but it looks like Midori is going and picking them up now and Wally is....trying to copy her xD But doesn't quiiiiite get it. Its somewhat amusing. XDD I'm not sure how good of a father he'll be now....maybe he'll get it after the eggs are in the nest or something....but, none the less, I'm very excited!! Its going a lot better then I expected!! :DDDD

Just thought I might share xDDD Excuse my excited rambling.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #2 
doggyhog

OH!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Sorry, I'm just very excited for you. :D

CONGRATS!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:31 AM   #3 
DragonFish

xDDDD THANKS!!!!!!! Haha, its okay, I'm REALLY excited too! 8DDDDD x3

Aaaaaaand I forgot about my tea D: Darnit, xD I bet its cold now...
Old 12-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

wow thats exciting..........some days i think about breeding a pair...............but WHAT to do with the babies after?????????

i cant fill my entire house with tanks, lol i DO need a "some" furniture LOL
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #5 
DragonFish

lol! xDDD But fish tanks are SO much more entertaining then furniture, who needs a couch anyway? You can sit on the floor and watch your fish tank

Anyway,a little update: They're still embracing and Wally seems to have gotten the hang of picking up the eggs now(Yay!).He'll go after them and then when Midori 'wakes up' she'll go down and help them. There aren't a ton of eggs, but more then I expected for my first spawning attempt ever O.o; Haha, apparently I'm doing something right.....hopefully things will keep going we'll and I'll have babies in a couple days!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #6 
Lethbridge

Congrats! I hope your male gets the hang of it! My male was not quite so smart he made the female do all the work and then once all the eggs were in the nest he ate all the eggs. Hope things so better for you!
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Thank you! Yup, it seems things are going better now....I'm actually surprised, I thought my first attempt would end in disaster somehow ^^;

I'm sorry about what happened with your male though D: I'd definitely be really frustrated if that happened....I'll admit, I've been stalking your thread and reading some of your posts and you seem like a really knowledgeable breeder I can only dream of one day having that kind of setup and knowing that much! So I wish you the best of luck with your next pair!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM   #8 
Lethbridge

usually the first isnt a total disaster, things usually go wrong but so far so good! Its okay that male was one of many i have another 4 males and im getting more things week. I do alot of research and i use to breed and i got back into in and its alot of fun. as for the setup it costs alot and it takes alot of time to keep it up and make sure your bettas are in top condition. I only feed my bettas hiarki blood worms, which go through an extensive filtering process for parasites. But hope your first spawn goes well. How many eggs so far like an estimate? and how long did you condition for?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Haha, this is my first time breeding anything besides livebearers and It definitely IS exciting. Of course I did quite a bit of research, been planning this form months, but the genetics is what I had a hard time finding info on....see, I'm absolutely FASCINATED with genetics, which is another reason I wanted to get into breeding bettas
Oh goodness....from what I can see of the nest, I'd estimate 40ish, and they're still embracing....and theres still a portion of the nest I can't see because of where it is ^^; I really wasn't expecting that many at all O.o; xD No worries, I'm prepared though! I've got enough room for MANY jars xD
I conditioned for about 2 1/2 weeks, introduced them to each other yesterday afternoon
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #10 
Lethbridge

well thats good! it sounds like your pretty prepared for this. and i just want to say i love your avatar betta!