Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #11 
emka

Yeah, I've had really good luck with Petsmarts around town. At the last one I went to, I mostly paid attention to the bird section and they had a staff member that was actually going out of her way to get some really good socialization in on their green cheek conure so that he was already trained to step up on hand and be super friendly for whenever he went home with someone. And now at my current one, the fish section is in great shape. The guy there does a great job keeping everybody healthy and I've heard him on more than one occasion very gently steer people in the right direction on safe tank stocking. When we bought the little guy, he was in the middle of explaining why bala sharks weren't going to be very friendly tank mates for someone's goldfish. Eek! The store manager even let them adopt one of the bettas that for some reason nobody was buying and let them set up a tank right there in the aisle to show how happy they can be out of the cup. They have a little sticker on it that says "Hello! My name is Barnaby!" It's super cute. I've definitely heard the horror stories though and I'm glad I've gotten to avoid them. Hopefully your store steps up to the bat and gets their act together!

And Krampus has been hilarious to watch! He's so stuck up, it's almost like he refused to admit that it was Ienzo that was bothering him and kept flaring in the opposite direction of Ienzo's tank. He kept swimming over, staring at Ienzo, then swimming away to the middle of the tank and flaring at nothing. Meanwhile, Ienzo flared maybe once at him and called it good. Since then he just flares at his food. Dorks, the both of them.

And thanks! I'm definitely still super new at planting, but it's so much more fun than I expected it would be. And hey, I haven't killed any of the plants yet! That's a first for me!
emka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM   #12 
summersea

Wow! Your PetsMart sounds amazing! None of my stores (chain or local variety) are anywhere near that! Won't lie - I'm jealous!

It is so funny the little personalities these guys have. Gives me endless amounts of entertainment to watch them and think what they would be saying. Each of mine has their own "accent" - such as my very laid back CT who always sounds like a surfer dude lol

Awesome on not killing any plants! I do pretty well with terrestrial plants but my one attempt with aquatic didn't go so good. Goin to try setting up my first NPT (natural planted tank) here soon - hoping I have your kind of luck and won't kill all my plants!
summersea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:02 PM   #13 
emka

Oooh, good luck! NPTs look absolutely incredible, but I decided I'd rather try my luck with just some plant basics before I went all out and tried one of those. I'm definitely the opposite of you right now - I've killed almost every terrestrial plant I've had in my care. Cactus? Overwatered it. "Unkillable" bonsai? Dead in a month. Herb garden on the apartment balcony? Brown in the blink of an eye. Even the great stalwart asparagus fern that not even my brown-thumb mother could kill met an untimely end with me - I put it in a hanging basket and it crashed from our second floor balcony to the parking lot below. You should have SEEN the look on my wife's face as she hears a bang and looks out to see me standing bare-handed and dumbstruck in the window yelling "HONEY I OOPSED"

*does a good juju dance for your tanks* GROW PLANTS GROW! GROW PLANTS GROW!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #14 
summersea

Yikes, definitely doesn't sound like you have the best of luck with terrestrial plants at all though I did enjoy the story haha

I appreciate the good juju as I will likely need it. Everyone makes it out to sound like NPTs are really easy but still makes me nervous. And I have to wait to ship plants until the weather isn't so frigid so that only allows me worry more. It is a vicious cycle! lol
Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 PM   #15 
emka

No photo update today, since I'm super tired from work and can hardly be bothered to muster the energy to drag the laptop out and am just posting from my phone. I'll try to post some tomorrow though - it's been the Land of Bubble Nests on the dresser this week.

I'm lying in bed now and I can see Krampus across the room zooming maniacally back and forth across his tank just flaring like a loony. He built himself a bubble nest RIGHT next to his feeding log, so every time he gets excited about food he gets distracted by the nest and goes OH! FOOD! NO WAIT NEST! GRR IM MENACING! OH WAIT NO FOOD! NO WAIT FLARE! He actually bit the wife the other day while she was swirling his pellets around. She couldn't stop laughing about it. Yes, yes, you're a scary nest defender, we know. :P

Ienzo is also nesting, but he's way more laid back about his nesting duties. He much prefers to just sit underneath it for hours at a time and only every so often come out to flare at passersby. And then meanwhile, Paarthurnax (looks like that's becoming the official name!) hasn't even bothered to try to nest - he just sleeps in his clump of java moss all day and only comes out to viciously attack his food. You can honestly hear his biting and chewing sounds from outside the tank. What a crazy little dragon.

I should probably get moving on Zo's and Paar's water changes, oop. I've been napping on and off for about four hours now, it's time to quit whining about my tired feet and get back to work!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 05:37 PM   #16 
emka

Time for the photos I promised!

Krampus and his latest bubble nest

Ienzo and his bubble nest - you can see the hand towel I've been using as a hide to try to minimize flaring between the two tanks on the left

And still no bubble nests from Paarthurnax, but look at that pretty purple coming in on the edges of his fins!

Old 01-26-2014, 06:27 PM   #17 
summersea

Those are some impressive bubble nests! Only one of my boys gives me a bubble nest anymore - and it is no where as nice as those! Yay bubbles!
Old 01-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #18 
Lucillia

Quote:
Originally Posted by emka View Post
And still no bubble nests from Paarthurnax, but look at that pretty purple coming in on the edges of his fins!

The shape of the body and the short ventrils make me really want to say that is a female betta... o.o I can't see if there are ovaries or not though.
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #19 
emka

Yeah, I really need to get some clear, good photos of Paar posted to try and get him sexed. He was sold as a male, and he does flare when he has a mirror in front of him, but he hasn't bubblenested once despite our other two boys having made about a billion nests each, and I'm pretty hopeless with trying to ID fish by anatomy still. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be female! Maybe that'll be one of my fish projects on my weekend starting tomorrow - get that driftwood planted and get that kiddo sexed.

Appreciate the comment though! Glad to see I'm not totally crazy for thinking the Petsmart cup was wrong lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #20 
Lucillia

No I think you were right!! Females can flare as well, my girl does to any betta related fish. Ignores the rest. Its very very possible. XD I find mis-labled fish all the time at Petco, so I really think its possible at Petsmart. We're almost the same company. >.<

One thing you can try is cupping him and putting him in with another male (in the cup still please!) females will 'bar' up when there's a male around them.. Kind of looks like tiger stripes going vertical on their bodies. It takes a few minutes for it to happen sometimes though. But I would wait for a better opinion before doing this.
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote