Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #21 
BettaLover1313

Love the pictures of your bettas and their names!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #22 
emka

We interrupt your regular scheduled betta updates with...

WINTER?!?!?! OH GOD WHAT IS HAPPENING I LIVE IN HOUSTON THIS IS NOT NORMAL WEATHER SOMEONE SAVE ME AAAAAAHHHHHHHH

emka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #23 
emka

Okay, not REALLY an interruption lol, it's still Tuesday and that still means it's animal care day at the apartment. Since it's below 30 degrees outside, all the cats and birds are getting their care routines delayed until tomorrow because there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'm going outside in that to take the trash out lmfao. The fishtanks don't require any outside activity however so they still got done today. At least I had a very helpful supervisor for the job.

And it's been what, a week since I last drastically rescaped something? I wasn't kidding when I said that big tank was a serious work in progress. Time to change everything AGAIN!

Today's big project? The driftwood has finally sunk, so in it goes!

Ta-daaa! It's starting to look like a much more habitable environment for things other than one single betta, right? Shrimp are definitely getting closer and closer to a possibility and I can't wait.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #24 
summersea

Yay rescaping! I suspect I will be doing that a lot with my own tanks!

I love your "supervisor" and the sunken driftwood! I am planning on getting shrimp too! The little guys have grown on me more and more as I have researched then for my NPT
summersea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:06 PM   #25 
emka

Well, good news and bad news on the plant front. The bad news is that the Bacopa caroliniana isn't doing so hot in either of the tanks it went into. And I honestly can't even begin to guess the cause - do I need better lighting? Do I need to start fertilizing? Or do I need to just not buy plants from my LFS? Hopefully it's just the third lmao. I had been hoping to get away with super easy plants that didn't need anything fancier than the kit lighting that came with my tanks, that's why I've picked out the species I've got. The Bacopa was only available at the LFS though, not Petsmart, so it's quite possible it's just had a rough life so far and the transfer from the store tanks to my tanks did it it.

Orrrrrrr it's just my brown thumb coming for revenge, of course. I think I'm gonna try to hit the LFS back up again next weekend and grab some Flourish to start feeding the plants just in case. I'd also like to buy some new lightbulbs for Krampus anyway because his tank is so yellow with those kit lights, bleagh.

Anyways..... the good plant news?

Those are new leaves on the very first java ferns I bought! Yaaaaay I'm not killing everything!! And some of it's even GROWING yaaaaaaaaaay!!!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:40 PM   #26 
Betta Nut

If you just take off the brown/yellowing leaves on the bacopa, there is a good chance it'll come back. A lot of plants do the "melt" thing when they get put in a new tank. I think as long as the stem looks healthy, it has a fighting chance :)

And YAAAYYYY about the rest, lol.
Your journal is so fun to read :)
Betta Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #27 
emka

@Betta Nut: ohhhh that's actually pretty reassuring! The tops of the Bacopa look really good, as do the stems, it's just that all the leaves below the top thirds of each plant look crummy and are disintegrating and falling off. I think I'll still grab some Flourish at some point though; reading up, it sounds like that plant does better with a fert anyway. And thanks! I'm glad my rambling is entertaining lol.

And man, I need to take more photos. Krampus and Ienzo are getting in a Who's The Manlier Fish contest and keep building bubble nests right next to the other's tank and in the same back corner as each other. Krampus is getting some good spread on his, but it's so thin that it keeps breaking up, and meanwhile Ienzo has so many bubbles piled on bubbles that, I kid you not, his nest is like a centimeter and a half tall in parts. What is WITH these fish.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #28 
summersea

Hahaha! Love it Emka! These boys can be so territorial it is hilarious! I recently added a Nerite snail to Nero's tank and, while he leaves it alone, he eyes it suspiciously and made me a huge bubble nest this week. Silly boys!
Old 02-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #29 
emka

They are such goofballs! I can't believe how much nesting they do. Before I actually brought a betta home, I had just guessed bubble nesting was some rare thing that only happened every once in a while when you were taking spectacular care of your fish and giving them some world class treatment. Now everywhere I turn I'm surrounded by bubbles! I swear, I keep expecting Paarthurnax, who I'm now 90% sure is a girl, to start one up just to compete with the boys.

And oh man - somebody slap me. I'm at work in one of the few rare moments where I get to just sit down in front of a computer all day, and I started browsing Aquabid and Craigslist just for fun and ended up finding a 30 gallon tank with stand, filter, decorations, EVERYTHING an hour away from me completely for free. FOR FREE. I'm vibrating out of my seat I want it so bad!! I even know exactly where I want to put it, but gaahhhh!!! Noooooooo!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #30 
summersea

Sadly I cannot be your voice of reason...that 30g would make an AWESOME NPT ...and be great for a sorority if Paarthurnax is a little girl...just saying