Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #1 
AlexXx

Problems :/

I started a 10 gallon with a few female betta, few ghost shrimp and a molly. I played a few bulbs from those packets at petsmart and have gotten a bunch of plants out of them... I also planted a water wisteria and put a marimo moss ball in. The tank is cycled and was before planting occured. Ive had this tank since sept 3. All of a sudden, i am getting this white fluffy fuzzy stuff in my sponge filter and it is hindering the water flow and since that i changed the filter bio bag thing, but now its back. Now to my next problem besides the recent poor filtration. I have discovered there has been a bunch of white fuzzy spots growing on the glass all the way around the tank. I have researched till my brain hurt and i know its not eggs for a snail... which ive read is quite common. They are kinda fuzzy and not hard, i can whipe them off with a sponge, and i do during thrusday water changes.... But its annoying. And also i was just staring at it and saw a tiny little white thing running around! it was the size of a "." and just running around the glass! Im very confused as to what to do about this whole situation. I recently had a few deaths, 2 otos died (i tried to get them to combat these white spots), and 2 female betta died unknown causes, found just laying down on the bottom of the tank...then i got them out and they died shortly later in a cup. But any way, id really like to have to to constantly sponge the glass walls, and clean out the filter/buy a new filter bio bag ever few days... its getting ridiculous.

Please help! thank you! And im sorry if i did not give enough information, i tried to be as precise as possible.
-Alex
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 PM   #2 
MidnightAngel

I'm sorry! I dont know what it could be but I remember reading somebody else complaining of little white things running around on the glass not too long ago...maybe that post holds answers
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 PM   #3 
MidnightAngel

sounds like from your description that they are copepods...we had those in my shellfish tanks at work (well salt water variety of course...) but yours sound like fw copepods. They eat algae as well. If they are only copepods they are essentially harmless since they are not competing for food in your tank..The copepods will look like tiny flailing white creatures moving awkwardly around your tank. To get rid of them drain your whole tank and clean the tank walls rocks thoroughly with hot water, that will normally get rid of most of them....or you can just keeping their population down by sucking them up with a siphon when you do your weekly water changes

they sound too small to be lice from my experience lice are huge (well in comparison lol)

or they could be the free swimming ich, if your fish gets white spots all over it then you need to either salt water bath or treat your fish with medicine and clean the whole tank!

but for now it sounds like copepod

I forgot to mention when you rinse your tank I would add some salt in there too, since they are a fw bug. The salt + hot water should kill them.

that's what it might have turned out to be...i saw you posted there at one point...does it sound like them?
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #4 
AlexXx

Thanks for the info, i have researched more and found this:

http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fres...uff-glass.html

That is what it kinda looks like, and the description in the thread is word for word what i have...

So its Hydra?

But there seems to not really be a cure for it... although harmless... i donno its not very sightly... Anyone know what to do?
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #5 
vaygirl

You could try one of those magnet cleaners? That way you could wipe them daily without taking down the tank? I don't even know if that would help. Just throwing ideas out there. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #6 
AlexXx

Ya its not a problem scrubbing the sides with a sponge every WC, but its unslightly after a few days you know? Id like to get rid of it all together
Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

You could post this question in the freshwater aquarium section of the forum and see if anyone there can help you out.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:21 PM   #8 
dh5daaaccfdd

It"s all ick!!! Sterarilize the whole tank and treat your betta!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dh5daaaccfdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #9 
AlexXx

I donno if its ick, i really think it is Hydra and i found out how to get rid of it, im going to dose Thrusday after my water change.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...imp-tanks.html
Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 PM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

ive never heard of ick attaching itself to glass...........only to fish
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote