Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #1 
CrazyDiamond

Filter Not Working ???

It's a Whisper 10i that came with the tank so it's 13 months old but here lately I've had trouble getting it to start back up after I have unplugged it in order to clean the tank. At first it was just taking a long time to start back up, then it wouldn't start back up at all unless I took it out, disassembled and cleaned it out real well then plugged it back in. But now as I sit here it has been about an hour since I plugged it in after cleaning it and still nothing. I guess it's just not going to come back on :(

I don't have any disposable income (in fact I have NO income) so I really want to weigh my options before replacing this filter.

-I have a mature NPT it's cycled, my plants are flourishing all the levels are where they need to be.

-I read somewhere that once you get the tank mature and everything a filter is really not even necessary. Is this true?

-If so will I need to clean more often if I decide to go the filterless route?
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 04:09 PM   #2 
rsskylight04

Love your user name and fishes names in your signature line! I'm a child of the 70s and still love all the great music from then. Somtimes filter parts can become encrusted with calcium deposits and have a hard time starting. Try soaking the filter in white vinegar to disolve the calcium, just be very carful to rinse it thoroughly. Do not leave the filter plugged in if it is not running ... it will burn out the motor.
I always use filters, but if you don't have many fish and don't feed a lot I guess you coul get away without one... maybe just till you save to get another? I would reccommend twice weekly water changes of 25% and water testing till you find out what your tank is doing.
Best of luck to you and Shine On , You Crazy Diamond!
rsskylight04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #3 
CrazyDiamond

Omg we would get along just fine xD I wish I was a 70s kid but I am a 90s, born in '89 but I love 70s music!
I have unplugged my filter! I can soak it tomorrow I have schoolwork to do right now unfortunately but atm I have one fish in that tank and a snail, I've noticed the snail poops a lot xD but she/he keeps the algae down so i don't mind.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #4 
CrazyDiamond

I finally got around to fixing it! The vinegar totally worked, thank you!!!