Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #1 
xxlolii

Help Please! I don't know what's wrong with him. :[

I've had my betta only for about a few months. He goes through these phases I think, he was fine the first couple of months, then he started to get really sick. He wasn't moving, barely breathing, wouldn't eat, and he had trouble even holding his back end down. It would just float along with the water. I cleaned his tank (I do this once a week) and I decided to change his location. He used to be downstairs, but it stays cooler downstairs, so I moved him up in my room where I always have it nice and warm, so his water would warm up. After a few days he came around and was back to normal.

Now, maybe a month and a half later, it's going on again. About a week ago at this time he was fine, swimming around, getting excited to eat, everything, but like a day and a half later, he had stopped eating and didn't do much. Now most of the time he is laying on the bottom of his tank on the rocks. Every once in a while he gets these crazy spells where he just flies around the tank in random movements, sometimes nosediving into the rocks, he splashes around. That normally lasts about 1 minute, then he's right back to laying on the bottom. He is losing his color, and I looked to one side and there is a dark spot. I don't know what it is. My first thought was a bruise, but I don't know if fish can get bruises. He also has a black spot near his head as well. His body color is a whitish with a tint of pinkish purple, the that tint has faded away almost completely now. There is no spot on his other side. He had a tree in his tank that I just removed in case it's releasing toxins. His rocks are the marble stones.

I really have no idea what is going on. Can anyone help?

Last edited by xxlolii; 12-03-2009 at 01:08 AM.
xxlolii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

A picture of him would help us determine what the spots are. What size bowl or tank is it? It doesn't sound like you have a heater. The water temp should stay at 76-82 degrees. Sometimes when the water gets too cold for them, they'll start spazzing out.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:55 PM   #3 
xxlolii

Thank tank is small..not even a gallon. I need to get a bigger one I know. And it doesn't have a heater, but the water stays plenty warm. Here is a picture. You can just see the darkening on his side and you can see the black spot on his head.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #4 
kelly528

Plenty warm is rarely warm enough... bettas prefer water of higher temperatures than most tropical fish! So unless your house is 27degrees celsius inside your fish is probably too cold.

Until you can get a bigger tank, change the water in his tank twice a day. And try to get him a bigger tank asap... the sooner you get a bigger, heated tank the better his chances of survival will be.

It looks like your fish has an ammonia burn (from too much waste in the tank) and is developing a bacterial infection. All the meds in the world won't help unless he is in an adequately sized heated tank so I suggest you check out the caresheet in the Betta Care section.

Good luck!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #5 
xxlolii

It is in the lower 80's in the room he is in.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #6 
kelly528

Room temps vary, whereas a heater keeps the temp consistent. Temperature swings will set him off for sure.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #7 
xxlolii

Okay, new information, this morning I noticed as he breathes, his gills are black.
Is this ammonia poisoning? If so, what are the treatments for him?