Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 08:14 PM   #11 
sunkissedinCA

well said, rb500.
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #12 
nochoramet

I consider mine rescues because I bought them, love them, care for them, willing to do anything to keep them healthy, as opposed to someone who would see the pretty colors, stick them in a vase with a peace lily, and never feed him or change the water. I rescued them from that fate...
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:37 PM   #13 
MidnightAngel

I agree with CodeRed and rb500...and arguing for shelters in this case is rather silly...how many shelters go and pick up bettas? The only way to rescue them is if they're unwanted or mistreated at the store. My Peaches was in a cup so full of algae that I could barely see him...what you're saying is I should have left him there to die, because his death would change the top people's policies in selling fish. It will never happen and because I don't think a shelter will save the betta, and did it myself he is now a very happy fish in divided 5gal with a lil snail buddy.... I will continue to rescue if the need for it exists
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #14 
kelly528

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightAngel View Post
I agree with CodeRed and rb500...and arguing for shelters in this case is rather silly...how many shelters go and pick up bettas? The only way to rescue them is if they're unwanted or mistreated at the store. My Peaches was in a cup so full of algae that I could barely see him...what you're saying is I should have left him there to die, because his death would change the top people's policies in selling fish. It will never happen and because I don't think a shelter will save the betta, and did it myself he is now a very happy fish in divided 5gal with a lil snail buddy.... I will continue to rescue if the need for it exists

The need is for you to point it out to management, tell them what health conditions the betta has come down with due to living in such a small cup, remind them that no one will buy suck a sick looking fish and that you are willing to take it under your wing if they give it to you for free or at a great discount. tell them you refuse to pay full price because they shouldn't profit fromt the mistreatment of animals. these managers aim to please. by refusing to give the betta to you, they are admitting that iit's not that they can't take care of the animals for some reason, it's that they don't care for the animal's wellbeing at which point you can write head office.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:48 PM   #15 
Elaina

Technically if a betta is in poor conditions while at the store and you buy him/her I guess that would be considered a rescue.
Personally I will NEVER pay full price for a sick betta, no matter how cheap it is.I feel it would be more constructive to talk to a manager or employee about the conditions and how deplorable they are.

By paying full price for a sick animal you are just rewarding the system that keeps them in such poor conditions. It's like when people buy puppies from a petstore, and say that they are "rescuing them." When in all actuality you are supporting that petstore(and in turn the puppymill) and there will be another animal to take that one's place.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #16 
MidnightAngel

it was a locally owned place, and the guy i pointed it out to was the boss....who didnt seem in any hurry......

and i got him free for changing out all the water of the bettas...but regardless, management will not listen because to them they are JUST fish and like others have pointed out on here, the ignorant people buy them regardless, they dont notice so much the unhealthiness, they go "oh shiny, pretty" and buy it, so it will not change. The only thing that can happen is that some people care enough to take home the sick ones and save them for a meaningless death
MidnightAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #17 
Elaina

You're right, nothing is going to change with their care until people START SPEAKING UP! Unless these pet stores are getting complaints, they aren't going to change anything. Make a fuss about the conditions they're kept in, speak to a manager, write the headquarters etc.
One person might not make a difference, if enough people start complaining than something might change, but saying nothing definitely won't.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #18 
New2Betas

I completely agree with speaking up. A store that sold only puppies was actually closed down because enough people made complaints about them selling puppy mill puppies. It took about a year, but they are no loner in business. If enough people speak up, something will and can be done.

I would never buy a dog or cat from a place like petland because they sell puppy mill pets and are kept in tiny cages with a wire floor which is horrible for their poor feet.

Basically I would never buy any pet fish or dog from a company that thinks its acceptable to miss treat any animal. The more that are sold the more that are waiting to be shipped.
New2Betas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:19 AM   #19 
AlexXx

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
Rescue:
–verb (used with object)1. to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil.
Yes.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #20 
Jupiter

I agree with what CodeRed said. There are so many ignorant people buying them, I feel good that I'll be providing the betta with a better life than he would get in the hands of someone else.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote