Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2009, 12:53 PM   #21 
vaygirl

I agree with everyone actually. There's nothing wrong with saying you rescued your betta. Shelters don't have exclusive rights to the word rescue. But I also think we should speak up and tell the stores when they're not taking care of them properly.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #22 
SashimiBetta

PetStores can't afford to give a tank to every Betta - That would cost fortunes!

They keep em' in small cups because they KNOW that they are going to be adopted someday.

Rescue is when you adopt it from an owner that can't take care of it. + You can't expect PetStores to go ALL OUT for just Bettas..They would go broke!
SashimiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:26 PM   #23 
Kytkattin

I am so desensitized to seeing dieing bettas in cups, knowing I cannot do anything for them, I only buy from stores that actually take good care of them. But, I also am maxed out at 2, which is a lot less than most people on here have.

I also have to argue against the idea that people in mass still buy them in dirty cups. While that used to be the case, and yes, some do get sold, the market for them, for new owners has really dropped. I used to see them at stores that do not sell pets, like Fry's Electronics, and Michael's. Now they are mainly sold only at pet stores, the places that should be taking good care of them and will probably continue to get the in stock until THE END OF TIME. So if you are not picky with the pet stores you buy from, they won't ever change.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:43 PM   #24 
PewPewPew

This thread is very, very old. Please do not dig up old threads, it pushes down new, more pressing ones. :)
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #25 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaina View Post
By paying full price for a sick animal you are just rewarding the system that keeps them in such poor conditions. It's like when people buy puppies from a petstore, and say that they are "rescuing them." When in all actuality you are supporting that petstore(and in turn the puppymill) and there will be another animal to take that one's place.
Exactly.

Supply and demand.

"If you build it, they will come".

If there is always someone there to buy a product, the product will always be there. If there are lots of people to buy a product, there will be an increase in the quantity produced of this product. And the converse is true... if nobody buys it, or there is a decrease in DEMAND, the quantity produced and supplied will follow... it will decrease.

But, the difficult thing is to get consumers to realize this and to act on this. If you want a betta fish and you don't know where else to get them but at a shop that keeps them in less than adequate conditions, you may feel you don't have any choice.

You buy a betta (or ANYTHING for that matter) from a crappy place, you're supporting that crappy place and supporting how they do their business. Plain and simple, whether you call it "rescuing", "buying", or whatever else you feel like calling it.

Research before you buy... there are betta breeders, there are auction sites (again, research before you bid/buy), it's your responsibility to check out the source. There ARE more choices, just have to look for them as they won't come and slap you in the face.

There are many younger people participating in this forum who may not have the ability to decide where they get their fish from... mom & dad may be footing the bill, or not allow internet purchases, etc. But anyone making their own choice where and how to get their betta...... if you get it from one of these places that keeps it's fish in substandard conditions, well then these conditions must not be THAT bad, or your wanting a fish takes a higher priority than deciding to NOT support a certain business.

Anyway, I've gas-bagged long enough! lol Just my humble opinions. Really, though, sometimes there AREN'T many choices for the average consumer out there, but you have to do your best to make the best choice. And all of the "rescued" bettas out there are probably so happy to be out of their dirty little cups! :)
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 PM   #26 
LeroyTheBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
This thread is very, very old. Please do not dig up old threads, it pushes down new, more pressing ones. :)
DANG it! lol.... Second time I caught myself replying to old as dirt threads! Must make a mental note to check the dates!!!

Disregard everything I said, then. hehe (There needs to be an "oops, please delete what I just posted" button!)
LeroyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 PM   #27 
PewPewPew

If you want, you can probably ask DQ to remove it or to close this. Lets just let it die :)

THIS THREAD IS VERY OLD.

Please allow it to die again. No more posts, please.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 PM   #28 
DeadMemories92

I honestly feel so bad for the bettas in Walmart because they are diseased. I have lost 3 bettas from Walmart and the current one, Wartooth, is from Walmart and is luckily outliving his extank mate who died back in the winter. He stays sick a LOT though so I'm assuming it's because he's from Walmart. I bought my other two bettas, Slayer and Waffle from TrueValue because their shipment of fish doesn't come from the same company that delivers the ones to Walmart. They've never really been sick at all *knocks on wood* and I'm grateful.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:57 PM   #29 
DeadMemories92

Darn it, just read that. SORRY!!!

Last edited by dramaqueen; 05-26-2011 at 12:03 AM.
DeadMemories92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #30 
n3wport

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Betas View Post
Shelters have a fee to help pay for the medical care to get the pets healthy. Also allows them to continue rescuing other animals. There is no profit. What they do is to help animals not make money off of them. So you really cant compare buying a pet from a store and adopting one from a shelter.
Oops sorry!
n3wport is offline   Reply With Quote