Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

lol. And as long as he swims around I'd say that's happy :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:10 AM   #12 
xShainax

Looked back at him, flared huge at me
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 AM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

lol well maybe he isn't so happy...that sounds angry to me!
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 AM   #14 
xShainax

Such a "tough" guy
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #15 
Enkil

I have an itty bitty baby betta in a 10 gallon all by himself. He seems very happy and healthy. Eats well.
The smallest tank we have is a 3.5 gallon with my daughter's fish in it. All our tanks have heaters and most have filters.

Her advice really just comes from being misinformed. They don't live in tiny puddles. Even if they did, you really can't compare that to the fish we tend to own. The wild bettas don't have the long flowing fins that many people find so attractive.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:29 AM   #16 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enkil View Post
I have an itty bitty baby betta in a 10 gallon all by himself. He seems very happy and healthy. Eats well.
The smallest tank we have is a 3.5 gallon with my daughter's fish in it. All our tanks have heaters and most have filters.

Her advice really just comes from being misinformed. They don't live in tiny puddles. Even if they did, you really can't compare that to the fish we tend to own. The wild bettas don't have the long flowing fins that many people find so attractive.
Actually, the long finned bettas generally need less space than plakats because their long fins cause them to work a bit harder to swim. So they don't need to swim around as much to get enough exercise.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:34 AM   #17 
Enkil

True, but too little room will make them stay small.
My long finned boys enjoy their room. I don't argue with them. I do give my short finned boys more room though.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:36 AM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
True, but too little room will make them stay small.
My long finned boys enjoy their room. I don't argue with them. I do give my short finned boys more room though.
Yeah, I definitely agree that you can give a betta too little space, but I think 1 gallon is an okay minimum...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:39 AM   #19 
Enkil

For some it is. I judge based on the fish.
I tried to move my Egil to a smaller tank. He ate his tail. I tried moving him to a bigger tank. He completely destroyed his tail. Put him back with his brothers and now he's fine. -_- Still nibbles his tail from time to time though. I wouldn't dare give my Odin more or less space. His vision is too poor.
I would feel bad putting Hannibal in anything less than 3.5 gallons. He has a body that is over 2 inches long with at least 3 inches of fins. Cranky little thing.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 AM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
For some it is. I judge based on the fish.
I tried to move my Egil to a smaller tank. He ate his tail. I tried moving him to a bigger tank. He completely destroyed his tail. Put him back with his brothers and now he's fine. -_- Still nibbles his tail from time to time though. I wouldn't dare give my Odin more or less space. His vision is too poor.
I would feel bad putting Hannibal in anything less than 3.5 gallons. He has a body that is over 2 inches long with at least 3 inches of fins. Cranky little thing.
Do Egil and Odin have about 3.3gallons each? (10gal divided 3 ways).

I personally wouldn't put a regular sized betta in less than 2.5 gallons, and I wouldn't put a giant or king in less than 5. But for those that keep their betta in one gallons, I think it's perfectly fine if you care for them properly...