Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #1 
bettaowner101

My new Red VT Betta

I got a new betta today at Pet Supplies Plus and their bettas were free! I was so shocked. The grand opening was yesterday and the bettas were given to them as a gift. My poor betta Sparky died last night. I got a Red VT betta. He is really cool and active and he flares at the filter in my tank and at nothing when I have the tank light on. I added some chemicals that Add Beneficial Bacteria to the tank. His fins look a little clamped probably because of when he was in his tiny cup. When he swims by the filter, it looks like he struggles to get away and when he does it, he flares. Is this normal? Is the current too strong? Also, I feed him Betta Pellets and he spit it out 30 minutes after I feed it to him. He has been through a lot since I feed him. Why could he be spitting it out?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Sometimes when you first get them they could take up to a week before they're comfortable enough to eat. So don't worry about that, just keep offering him the food and when he doesn't eat it, just scoop it out of the tank so it doesn't dirty the tank more. The current could be a little bit too strong, I don't think they like a lot of current. Can you control it?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:25 PM   #3 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Sometimes when you first get them they could take up to a week before they're comfortable enough to eat. So don't worry about that, just keep offering him the food and when he doesn't eat it, just scoop it out of the tank so it doesn't dirty the tank more. The current could be a little bit too strong, I don't think they like a lot of current. Can you control it?
Thanks and no, I can't control the current. He keeps swimming by it and flaring at it. It just seems so weird that he spit out the pellet 30 minutes after I feed him the pellet
Old 12-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #4 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmm that is weird. He'll get used to his surroundings soon. Does he actually get blown away where he has to struggle to fight it or swim?
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:59 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Sweet! You're the only other person I've heard of who has a Pet Supplies Plus! They're got great prices here, and definitely are my favorite pet store.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #6 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaxFishxCrazy View Post
Hmm that is weird. He'll get used to his surroundings soon. Does he actually get blown away where he has to struggle to fight it or swim?

It looks like he struggles to swim away from it. Will he try not to go by it if he knows it will happen again and again?
Old 12-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #7 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
Sweet! You're the only other person I've heard of who has a Pet Supplies Plus! They're got great prices here, and definitely are my favorite pet store.

Cool! I was so shocked that the Bettas were free.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #8 
TigerLily

Congrats on your new betta!

As for the strong current pushing him around, there are things you can do to control it. For example, you could make a filter baffle (there's a nice guide here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 ), or you could try covering the intake with a sponge to help slow things down as well.
Best of luck with your fishy!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:07 PM   #9 
gahooie

That's awesome you got yours for free! I wanna deal like that! lol Congrats on your new friends :D
gahooie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:46 PM   #10 
bettaowner101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily View Post
Congrats on your new betta!

As for the strong current pushing him around, there are things you can do to control it. For example, you could make a filter baffle (there's a nice guide here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139 ), or you could try covering the intake with a sponge to help slow things down as well.
Best of luck with your fishy!
Thanks! I made one and it really helped!