Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 08:26 PM   #1 
CodeRed

*sigh*

"Today, I heard a loud crashing noise. I ran into the kitchen to see what it was. My cat had knocked over my fish bowl and had my Beta in her mouth. After scolding her and rescuing it, I decided to clean it's bowl. When I went to dump some of the water in the sink, my fish went down the drain."

I found this on a website I frequent, and there's so many things messed up about this post that it just depressed me. THIS is why I :
1. Keep fish AWAY from my cats UNLESS I am in his presence at ALL times.
2. Keep it in a container too big to be knocked over easily, as this can save a LOT of hassle.
3. ALWAYS take the fish out and put it into the bowl it came in while I clean its tank. I've read FAR too many stories about the fish falling into the sink to even remotely consider this safe.

But I find this very distressing with the fact that the cat knocked over the bowl, thus probably spilling a lot of water... so what did the betta get put into? Just plain, untreated water? Why didn't this person take out the betta for the water change? Was this person just planning on putting the new water in with the betta? As I see it, this betta probably didn't have a long life ahead of it anyways. I feel bad for it.

THIS is what I want to teach people about, so these things can be avoided.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Grrrrrr!!! Poor fishy :(
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #3 
CodeRed

I know. I can't even imagine how many other bettas are being put through tthings like this D: It makes me sad.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:08 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

That happened to my cousin's daughter's fish. The cat knocked it over then they put it back in dirty water and put some untreated tap water in too. Then they turned around and gave it to me. They were going to flush him but I told them I wanted him. I had him a year and a half before he died.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #5 
ninjafish

It's depressing how many people just see them as shiny objects and not the living, breathing and important creatures that they are...Even our close family and friends! Just because it's a fish does not mean it deserves less care than your average dog or cat.

I remember back in the spring, my college had a raffle during the club recognition dinner to benefit its clubs, and betta fish were one of the prizes. One of my friends got one, but accidentally forgot it by the end of the night, and one of our mutual friends was just like, "Oh, I'll just put it in a vase and give it to her next time I see her." And I was all, "NO. It will get sick and die. I'm taking it because I have what I need to keep him healthy." Normally she's one of those people that thinks she's always right, but I shut her up, lol!

I still have that betta too. My friend never came to get him.
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

ya unfortunately most people use them as a "decoration".............grrrrrrrrrrr dont get me started

when i change my smaller tanks, i partially fill one side of the sink with warm dechlorinated water, JUST in case someone jumps out they can jump into safe warm water......

an ounce of prevention........
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:30 AM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

That's from FML!
I just read that. Haha. I haven't read it in a couple of days and was just catching up.

:)
Hello fellow FMLer.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM   #8 
AlexXx

ya that website is pretty funny, but the story is sad, my g/fs sister pull one of the down the drainers on her fish, :(

as for the websites, text from last night is way better :P
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #9 
Elaina

OMG texts from last night is awesome! I could seriously spend all day reading those, lol.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:29 AM   #10 
Jupiter

It sounded like an FML-type thing. Normally I don't believe half of the stories there, but it's sad to know that this sort of thing happens to bettas quite often. :/

I just checked out texts from last night, it's hilarious! People from my hometown are really dirty, though...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote