Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #1 
Jernykins

Cool Mr Hannibal Lector

Lector is my first fish baby in a long time. I had an extremely bad experience a while ago that ended up in a lot of deaths and a lot of tears. It took just short of 3 years and very loving husband to get me to try again.
Iíve got this bad boy in a 3.5 gallon tank with an AquaClear filter (+Ammonia remover) running on the slowest speed. Heís being feed 3-4 Hikari Betta Bio-Gold every other day (although heíd eat constantly if left to his own devices!)
Iíve had him for about two weeks now and last week I had his water tested and his Nitrate? Nitrate? (which ever means heís eating too much) was high and thatís been coming down slowly with 2 water changes and cutting his diet down (He was eating daily before)

Everything looks good! He should be moving into a ten gallon with in the month.
The only thing Iím worried about is that I think he has the beginnings on Pop-eye? Or maybe Iím paranoid. My husband says he looks fine.
Any suggestions?

Oh! Almost forgot, he has no heater, but weíre in Florida? And his tank is never lower that 78.
Jernykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:30 AM   #2 
dr2b

Welcome to FishForum! Most people on the forum feed their bettas 2-3 pellets twice a day daily and fast (not feed) one day a week. A little aquarium salt never hurt anyone either :)
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:30 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with dr2b. Bettas should be fed every day, 2-3 pellets at a time. Nitrates and nitrites have to do with cycling the tank, not how much the fish has been fed.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:40 AM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

welcome to the forum, can u post a pic of him so maybe someone can help identify if it is popeye or not?
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #5 
dr2b

I agree a picture would be helpful...
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #6 
Jernykins

It's on my photo album! I'm pretty sure it's just me being way-over-paranoid.

On another note, I was at Walmart last night and we swung by the pet-section and couldn't help but looking at the new fish they had in stock, it seems that the Walmart in my area just switched suppliers because for the last two weeks they have had the most beautiful fish (and healthy looking I may add).
They had the most amazing colored bettas, there was a pastel pink, a pale yellow, a royal blue with orange fins, just beautiful!

Then of course I saw this mid-sized male, royal blue body, and fins that started blue and faded to yellow towards the bottom. He was just angry at the world, we moved him away from the other males just to take a better look and he flared at my fingers, we set him down and he flared at the bag of cat food next to him, he was just angry! I laughed, picked him back up to set him down on the shelf and he looked at me, square in the eyes!
Needless to say he went home with me. ( Luckily, I never took down Clarice's tank, just emptied it, cleaned it, and filled it back up with distilled water)

I'll post some picture of the Ganges as soon as he lets me take a photo oh him where he doesn't look like an angry blur. lol
Jernykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:26 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't use distilled water because it lacks trace minerals that fish need. Tap water is fine as long as you use water conditioner.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 PM   #8 
Jupiter

Your tank is probably just cycling, so you'll need to do a lot of small water changes. As others have mentioned, feed your betta 2-3 pellets twice a day.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote