Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Off topic question

Ok, so something has been on my mind and I thought I'd ask you guys for your opinions. I have a neighbor whom I got my first rescue betta from. The one who said he wasn't made of gold, he can easily be replaced, blah, blah, blah. She tries to come off as a real animal lover but she has no compassion WHATSOEVER!!! The problem is her dog. Angel is a Bichon Frise and is a very sweet dog. She's 12 years old. The thing is that my neighbor does not keep her clean. She has black stuff around her hind end and she SMELLS soooo bad!! Her breath would knock over an elephant! My neighbor brings her in my house and Angel sits in front of me panting and the smell is just about overpowering! I was at her house last night and her daughter was there and she was complaining about how bad Angel's breath was. I have another neighbor that has the c o c k e r spaniel that I walk and he's always immaculately kept. He gets groomed regularly and taken to the vet regularly. Angel's owner asked her how she could spend $60 on a dog, she told her he's a member of my family and I want to take the best care of him that I can. Money was no object to her. Angel's owner does not want to spend the money on her. I don't remember the last time Angel was groomed. The thing is, I thought of sending her daughter an e-mail asking if she could try to get her mother to have Angel groomed more regularly. Or is this none of my business. It's not like the woman has no money. She could bathe her herself but I don't think she wants to fool with lifting her in and out of the tub. Sorry for the long post but this has been on my mind.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:38 AM   #2 
TigerLily

Not keeping an animal properly groomed can be a form of neglect. Even if they don't feel like taking the dog to a groomer, there's nothing stopping them from picking up some dog shampoo and a brush and grooming the dog themselves. If you adopt an animal, then you become responsible for the animal's care and upkeep: this includes grooming.
I would certainly say something about it, but the trick is bringing it up in a polite way.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:56 AM   #3 
AngelicScars

I would say something. It definitely is a form of neglect and I don't see how anyone could do such a thing.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:14 AM   #4 
Jynx

yeah when we had furry dogs we sent them to the groomers or did it ourselves- when we had our smooth daschund i bathed him every saturday- then when we had that big persian cat who couldn't keep herself clean- we sent her twice until she got the idea and the other cats started helping her. poor kitty. but animals need to be kept at a reasonable level- and yeah it's a form of neglect that can be called in to animal control and they'll send someone with orders to groom- not all dogs need it and if people choose to keep the breeds that do it's considered part of the cost of keeping that dog- the same as big dogs needing more to eat and small dogs needing sweaters in the winter- dogs cost money.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:02 AM   #5 
ChristinaRoss

this makes me wonder WHY people like THIS even have a dog???????????????

i just dont understand..........what do they think, it will just be cute for forever with no maintenance and proper care???

this chaps my a@@

you could write her daughter an email, but, id be prepared for her to be offended if shes anything like her mother.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm just kind of afraid she would tell her mother what I said. I don't think she would get mad at me but I think her mother would.The thing is, her mother pretty much supports her financially. She buys her all her paper products and stuff for all her dogs and more.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

me personally i wouldnt let her dog in my house with a stinky, dirty tushy but thats just me.......my baby plays on the floor with me lol

well, another alternative...............keep dog breath mints......and when she comes over with her dog, give the dog one..........
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:00 AM   #8 
ThePearlFish

I would suggest politely the next time the women wants to bring the dog into your home, that you would prefer the dog stay home since the dog is dirty. it IS your house, she should be willing to get permission to bring it over or be willing to leave the dog home if you don't want it over.

i don't know how to approach the issue of getting the dog cleaned. Maybe the request to leave the dog at home will make something click, but with people like that, i dunno, sometimes they are just too close-minded.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 AM   #9 

If she doesnt want to spend that much money on the dog maybe you could offer to bathe the dog for like $20 or something like that. Then you could get a little cash out of it annd know that the dog is nice and clean! :)
82028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #10 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
If she doesnt want to spend that much money on the dog maybe you could offer to bathe the dog for like $20 or something like that. Then you could get a little cash out of it annd know that the dog is nice and clean! :)
^^ i was thinking the same thing except i don't know if her neigbor will even be willing to pay 20 dollars for her to do it if she is stingy (sp?) with her money when it comes to animals.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote