Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

That wouldn't work either because she IS stingy with her money. She's also very jealous of the money I make doing petsitting jobs around the neighborhood.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #12 
kelly528

Honestly I think the most tactful way to go about this is to put in a complaint with your local animal shelter. I doubt they would confiscate the dog but they would definitely check up and make sure Angel is being taken care of properly. I mean, if this lady won't even drop $5 for a bottle of dog shampoo, I seriously doubt this dog is up to date on vetrinary care, etc. A humane society will at least look into it and tell her that she needs to look out a little better for her dog's hygeine, and that way you can stay out of it.

But yeah that isn't acceptable to not bathe your dog. Like humans, they benefit from regular washing and proper dental care. I would mention to her that brushing your dog's teeth may seem outrageous but it is way cheaper than having to get your dog's teeth cleaned at the vet, which is also risky because they put the animal under full anesthesia.

Like someone else said, I don't know who on earth would let a soiled dog sit on their lap or the furniture, much less in the house! Whenever our dog toby gets a dirty behind, we airlift him to the sink asap and give him a scrub-down before he goes anywhere!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #13 
Calmwaters

I hate to say it but I agree with Kelly. Not only is it unsanitary if the dogs hair is matted it is also painful for him/her. Just imagine what it would be like for you if everytime you took a step your hair was pulled. : (
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #14 
streetlightdawn

I've had two bichons and they HAVE to be groomed. They have curly hair that can get matted very easily and so need to go to a groomer around every 6 weeks. This is what you have to do when taking on an animal and if she does not want to do it, she should not have one. I'm sure that the poor dog is matted and is very uncomfortable, if not in pain. I agree with the others, you should call the local animal shelter or some form of animal welfare group. Every state has some law against animal abuse and neglect counts as abuse.
streetlightdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #15 
vaygirl

Agreed. Call the SPCA (or whomever in your area) and then don't worry over it any more. Even IF they took the dog, which they probably won't do the first time, it would be better off being adopted by someone who takes care of it. That's really all you can do (given her description), barring offering to groom/bathe the dog for free? I have an 18lb small framed cat. I have to wash her behind all the time. I can't imagine letting an animal with a dirty tush walk around your house. The poor thing. They don't like it either. It makes them grumpy to be all matted and smelly.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #16 
doggyhog

Yep. I'd make an anonymous call to the ASPCA. They should not HAVE a Bichon if they aren't going to groom the poor thing. I have a standard poodle, and he has at least 4 inches of hair all over his body. I brush him RELIGIOUSLY and feel very guilty if he has a mat, sure, it's a lot of work! But, it makes him healthy!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #17 
Elaina

You can try and give your local animal control a call, but more than likely they have more pressing issues than a poorly groomed dog with smelly breath. I totally agree that she should be taking better care of this dog, but if she is feeding it and providing all the basic essentials for it, then your local animal control can't really do a thing about it, unless the dog is matted to hell and in horrible condition.
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Well, my neighbor is going to try to get Angel an appointment this week to be groomed. YAY!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #19 
ChristinaRoss

well that worked out, yay!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #20 
AlexXx

Im glad the authorities did not have to get involved. My g/fs parents have some kinda of Bichon and they groom it once a week... and brush its teeth, those dogs need lots of care.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote