Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2009, 12:00 AM   #1 
SharonDuquette

Water getting a bit cold...please help

It's getting colder over here and my Betta, Spaz, his water is getting a bit cold. I have the mini heater in it and it looks to have a hole in the small heater so I dunno if it's heating up the water anymore. When it turns on, it does get hot but I dunno if it's working in the water.

What do I di? I'm thinking about getting another heater and maybe putting it in WITH the one I have now to kind of help it but I'm not sure. This is the tank I have: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3107806

And What I do is in the morning I turn the heater in and leave it on all day then take it out at night. Is that what I should do? Or should I always leave it in the tank and leave it on?

Please help. His water is getting a bit cold and I've even taken out some water and put it some warm water but it just got cold. What else should I do?
SharonDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

What size is the tank? Do you have a thermometer? You shouldn't just use your sense of touch to determine the temp.

The mini heater usually only brings the temp up in the tank a few degrees. Depending on the temp in your home, it might not warm it enough.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 PM   #3 
SharonDuquette

It's a 2 gallon tank. I have a thermometer on the outside of the tank, it sticks to the tank but I'm not sure if it's always accurate. We have had the heater on, in the house, for the passed few nights and I'll probably get another hydor mini heater.

I hope I'm not a bad owner. I'm trying what I can.
Old 12-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #4 
vaygirl

Get a new one and just get rid of the old one. I had to return one of mine already. And get yourself a floating thermometer if you can instead. Those sticker thingies are a pain in the rear and the floating ones are pretty cheap.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #5 
SharonDuquette

I bought a new heater! Problem? I got the wrong one. The first one I got was for 2-5 gallons and this one I got was for 5-10 gallons so it's a bit bigger. But I'm using it. Do you think it'll be okay for me to use it in my 2-2.5ish gallon tank?

And he also hasn't been eating. He didn't eat Friday night, Saturday morning, Saturday night or this morning. He ate 1 pellet total Saturday and that has been all so far. I' trying to get him to eat pellets and/or bloodworms but he won't eat. Dunno what's going on.

Last edited by SharonDuquette; 12-06-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #6 
dr2b

What is the wattage of the heater? Did you get a new thermometer? I am really not a fan of those stick on thermometers...I feel better with a floating thermometer or one that sits in the tank itself.

When I had to put Flair in a 2.5 gallon previously, my 25 watt heater did fine in there...I just had it set to the lowest temperature setting possible. It kept his water at a constant 79 degrees.

I would keep offering him pellets. But if he doesn't eat them then take it out. Sometimes if their water is cold or they are stressed they won't eat much.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #7 
SharonDuquette

I think the wattage of the heater is 15 W. And I also got a new thermometer. It can stick to the inside of the tank, not like a sticker thermometer. It's with a suction cup and is an actual thermometer.

The thing about this heater is it's not adjustable. I can't find an adjustable heater small enough for a 2 Gallon tank.

And I will, I'm hoping when the water gets warm he'll heat more. I dun wanna lose him.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #8 
dr2b

I'd give the heater a try and just eye the temperature. If all else fails, you can get a timer that people commonly use for lights to use for the heater and have it turn on for so many hours and turn off.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:50 PM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

In Jasper's 2.5 gallon tank he has a Hydor THEO 25 Watt Heater, it seem's to be working fine. It's an adjustable one (I love that fact) For sure I can't set it to 80, it heats way to much but I found the perfect temperature. And with the tank light off it's perfect.

So I would totally recommend the "Hydor THEO 25 Watt Heater"
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #10 
Jupiter

Really? I also bought a Hydor Theo 25 for my 5 gallon tank, it did squat. For a small tank, though, I guess it would work better? The small Tetra pre-set heaters didn't work in my 5 gallon either, but heat up my 2.5 gallon fairly well.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote