Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2009, 08:36 PM   #1 
CodeRed

What can I do? =/

My girl, Shani, has been fighting chronic sbd for about 3 months. Is there ANYTHING I can do, or do I just have to keep an eye on her? It's not a constipation thing, as it's been going on forever. I fast her every other day, but that stopped working about a month ago. Now she just floats around at the surface, looking miserable. She can't get down to her decorations now, and all I can do is try to keep her entertained with markers and other such things outside of the tank. What I'm asking is if anyone has any idea if chronic sbd will last until she dies, or if it'll go away eventually. It kills me to see her so glum ): Any words of advice at all would be helpful, as she's my only fish to have had SBD. It's not a water thing, since she shares the same water as everyone else, and they're all perfectly fine.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Merlot had chronic sbd from last January until August or September. He's fine now. I have no idea what happened, why he got it or why it went away. I started fasting my fish once a week and follow up the next day with daphnia. I feed brine shrimp on wednesdays and bloodworms on fridays, in the mornings. The rest of the time I feed pellets. I have no idea if this will help you or not.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #3 
CodeRed

Thanks, I'll start trying some daphnia. I'm going out to the pet store tomorrow to pick up some shed-aid for Aris, so I'll hopefully be able to get some then, IF they have any. I kind of doubt it, but I'll pray (: It's just that it's been going on so long, and it seems to get worse everytime I see her, so I'm starting to give up hope ):
Old 12-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I hope the daphnia will help. You can use either freeze dried or frozen. Poor Merlot couldn't go to the bottom of his tank and a couple of times I thought I might lose him. He would just lay on his side at the top and flop around every once in awhile. He never lost his appetite, though. He was never bloated either.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #5 
CodeRed

Same here. She eats like she always did, and she actually looks a bit too thin, in my opinion. I'm not at all sure why she's like this, but she's healthy in all other way EXCEPT the sbd. And she's the only betta besides Eros who's had it, so it must just be her...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Aunt Kymmie was the one who suggested the daphnia to me. You would never know there was anything wrong with Merlot now.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #7 
CodeRed

Thanks, again. I've posted this question about three times, and you're the first one to ever respond (: I was really starting to lose hope.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Don't lose hope! Hopefully, she'll get better like Merlot did. One night before I realized he was getting better, I got up and happened to look at him and he was on the bottom! I thought, oh no, he's dead! I thought I'll deal with it in the morning. The next morning he was swimming around just fine.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #9 
CodeRed

Somedays I think it would just be better to leave her floating in her cup, since it'll help if she starts to sink and can't reach the surface, and then I think that if she does die, I don't want her to die in a tiny little cup ):
Old 12-09-2009, 09:20 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Try lowering the water level in her tank. That should help some.