Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 AM   #1 
Mizzle

Sick Fish - Details Inside

A few days ago my fish started laying on the bottom of the tank. I assumed he was tired and just turned off the lights to let him sleep. He has spent the last few days still just laying on the bottom of the tank, sometimes he lays on his side.

He's developed a noticeable white spot on his left gill area and only on the left side.

I'm not sure what this is and I'm not sure what I should treat it with. Thanks.

I'm about to move him to a small bowl, but worried about the temperature as I don't have a heater for the bowl. He currently lives in a 20g long divided 3 ways
Mizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 AM   #2 
Mizzle

I've noticed he also has a pretty heavy case of fin rot after closer examination =/

Anyone have any thoughts on how to treat this?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:33 AM   #3 
BettaKeeper

1st - if you don't live in an area where the water would be 78- 80 degrees then you definitely should buy a heater.
2nd- I'd check the water quality.
3rd- Is the white spot really tiny? Are there more than just that one on the gill? If yes, it could be ich.
4th- If it's not ich, then it's most likely a bacterial infection. Usually fish with that just lie around in their tank.
5th- I'd definitely recommend this medicine Aquarium Pharmaceuticals PimaFix at PETCO
6th- If there are any other fish in the other divided parts, I'd treat them too. With diseases it's best to treat the whole tank to be safe.
BettaKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #4 
Mizzle

The tank that he normally lives in is at a constant 80 degrees.

The water quality is generally very good.

The white spot is on his gills, and it is now on both sides.

He has also begun to lose some of his color

I'm treating him to a salt baht & maracyn2... gonna try to buy a critter keeper / heater for a hostpital tank today
Old 12-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #5 
BettaKeeper

What you are doing now seems to be good.

If it is ich (I'm pretty sure it is) , then the eggs should hatch at a high temperature like 80 degrees soon. Then the medicine can do it's magic. I'd wait to treat the fin rot until after the ich is gone - for that I recommend BettaFix.
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Splendid Betta BettaFix Remedy at PETCO

If I were you I'd do a 70% water change in the large tank + invest in the hospital tank and heater.

Still put a little bit of medicine in the large thank in case the others have been infected as well.

If you'd like to read an article on fish diseases I have one here (it also has pictures) betta diseases
BettaKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote