Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #1 
MissMoneyPenny

Question Dividing tank questions

I am looking to divide my tank, but I want to make sure I am making the right decision. I know many people here in the forums divide, so I think this is a great place to ask, hehe. So my first question is - is a 5 gallon tank too small to divide? I have seen a lot of people around the forums say their betta live great in a 2.5 gal. I know this may seem really silly to ask, but I am gonna risk it - LOL - Will the heater in the 5 gal still keep the (whole) divided tank warm? *hides face in embarrassment* Will I have to do more tank cleaning and would I do full water changes? If a fish were to get sick (I SURE HOPE NOT), will the other be likely to get sick as well? I welcome all opinions!
MissMoneyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:01 PM   #2 
Neelie

you COULD divide a 5g, yes, but is your tank wide enough?

the heater is just fine. the warmth will spread.

if you cycle the tank it'll make life easy for you, but you do need to do your 20% - 30% changes every week and keep your gravel vaccumed.

well, if one is sick, the other will be too BUT you can treat them both at the same time too. only problem is you will kill your cycle everytime you use meds.... but it doesnt happen that often and yes, i would try it IF your tank has good dimensions for it.
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #3 
MissMoneyPenny

Thanks so much for the thoughts. If I post my dimensions for my tank, could you tell if it would be a good size? I assume I can just put in the dimensions from the box?
Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #4 
MissMoneyPenny

Wanted to update the dimensions for my 5 gallon tank, here they are: 16"L x 8.5"W x 10"H
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 PM   #5 
Colibri

Hi!

Two of my little ones live in a divided tank of 5 gallons with almost the same dimensions as yours, and they are really happy. 2.5 gal is the minimum amount of water that's acceptable to keep a betta in, and they really enjoy the space. Now, if one of your fishes gets sick, not all the deceases are contagious like Ich and others. If only one of them gets sick, you can put him in a "hospital tank, bowl, jar" and not affect the other one with the medicines you will be giving him.

Good luck!
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote