Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #1 
goldyboy

Goldy Boy

I hadn't planned on getting this little monster when I walked into Petsmart, I was there looking at Guinea Pigs for my 4 year old for Christmas. But as I was leaving I walked by the Bettas...or what I can otherwise say was a sad display of them in little plastic containers on a shelf. I glanced over a few flitting around but my eyes rested on this sweet little nosy face peering at me, and he stayed that way...just staring until I broke.

I picked his container off the shelf and thought to myself:What are you doing you know nothing about fish!! An employee must have seen the panic in my eyes because she came over and helped me buy him a little home. I say little because while she assured me it was suitable to have him in a 1 gallon bowl, down to the barrel cave it appears shameful compared to what I have seen of your lovely tanks on here.

I'm compelled to run to the store and upgrade immediately! But I like the idea of a bowl versus a tank, so perhaps there is a lamp and larger bowl to get. I've kept my house warm and toasty but it's hard to sleep in so I think he needs his own lil heater.

He's such a little blessing/monster. He's got a real attitude and I love it. I kiss the side of the bowl in front of him and he flares at me. LOL And when I trail my finger in circles just above the water line he darts after it on the prowl.

Yes it's time for an upgrade, but here are a few pics of us now:

goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:54 PM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

aw hes beautiful!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #3 
goldyboy

Thank you! He's a cheeky lil' guy but he's definitely got my heart. An excellent reading buddy as well. ;)

The betta in your profile pic is stunning btw!!
Old 12-06-2009, 03:13 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Aww, he is definitely adorable <33 Aren't they fun pets? So many people never realize how wonderful a companion a Betta can be! :)

The main issue with bowls is that they usually aren't large enough to heat and even the smallest heater may overheat the bowl and boil your little buddy. If you COULD find a bowl that was 2.5 gallons or so(the larger, the better of course)then a Hydor Mini Heater should work nicely without overheating anything, but always keep an eye on the temp with those because they're not adjustable. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #5 
Jupiter

He's cute! It's nice that you want to help him.

If you have something like Winners or TJ Maxx, they usually have nice big bowls and vases there. Cheap, too.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #6 
Elaina

Hobby Lobby, Walmart, and other craft type stores will have large bowls/vases if that is really what you prefer. They sell them alot cheaper than any pet store will!
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #7 
AlexXx

omggg i love that pic of you two looking at each other so cute!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #8 
CodeRed

What is that big ol' blob on him? Just his coloring, I hope?
He's cute though :P
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:59 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. Your betta is beautiful!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 PM   #10 
goldyboy

Thank you to everyone for your warm welcome and your input! What a great comm this is! After I read your comments on Winners and heating I raced out and Goldy Boy (named so because my daughter thinks every fish is called a gold fish and he's fancy so he must be a girl) got an upgrade. It's a 1.75 gallon bowl. And I guess with the extra space it lacks a little excitement. :P

Maybe Santa will bring Goldy some live plants for Christmas.

Again thanks for all of the valuable advice, oh and the blue spot is his colouring, not a lump or anything. He has a darker blue spot on one side and a turquoise bigger spot on the other.