Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #1 
jmcintyre

Weird flakey film in water

Please help! There is alot of weird flakey film in my bettas water.. i dont understand where it is coming from? I JUST renewed its water a few days ago..and i use bottled water.
jmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM   #2 
bettaowner101

Did you use Water Conditioner? Did you add too much Water Conditioner?
bettaowner101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:55 PM   #3 
kelly528

Okay I can tell your betta's in a bowl if you are getting that film. It builds up from the water conditioner I believe but it takes a while to do so. So if you are cleaning your betta's bowl regularly it shouldn't be a problem. I might add that this is not a problem in filtered tanks because the constant surface disturbance from the running water prevents the water conditioner from rising to the surface.

how big is the bowl and how often are you cleaning it?
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #4 
jmcintyre

I don't use water conditioner though? I thought since I was using bottled water I wouldn't need the conditioner. I clean the bowl like every 2-3 weeks.
jmcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #5 
AlexXx

Im pretty sure its dust build up on the surface, because there is no water moment like in a filtered tank. You really need to be cleaning the water at least every 5-7 days, not 2-3 weeks.. that is FAR to long.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #6 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah if it's a 1G bowl it should be cleaned 2-3 times a week.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 12:16 AM   #7 
vaygirl

Do you have a cat? I know that sounds strange but it kinda sounds like what I used to get in my fountain from my cat drinking out of it at night.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #8 
kelly528

Yeah man thats dust. You absolutely must clean your bowl every 2-3 days... every day if it's less than that. A fish will get poisoned by it's own waste (called ammonia) if you don't clean the bowl on a very frequent basis. If you want a tank you can clean every 2-3 weeks, get a 55 gallon for him!
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:33 PM   #9 
ninjafish

Oh, so that's what it is! I have a 5g filtered tank that gets that film too, and I could never figure out what it was..The movement of the water does not do anything to deter it. =/
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #10 
ChristinaRoss

is it flakey? or more like a film? ive read many different causes to this including algae.....
i also found this info......on what the causes could be
  • Fish food – Most fish foods have some fat in them.
  • Your hands - Everyone has oils in their skin, not to mention that hand lotion you slapped on.
  • The air - Cooking oils aerosolize into the air, which is why kitchen surfaces get greasy. If your aquarium is in the next room, the tiny droplets of oil in the air can easily be carried to the tank.
  • Equipment - Filters and pumps can have small amounts of oils to lubricate them.
  • Fish waste - Fecal material from the fish contains some fat.
  • Dead fish - In the unhappy event that a fish dies and is not immediately removed, the decomposition of the body releases fat into the water.
Now that you know where oil comes from you probably wonder why all aquariums don't have oil slicks. Many would, if they didn't have filters and pumps circulating the water. The constant water movement keeps the minute quantities of oil mixed in with the water so they never rise to the top and create an oil slick. For that reason, aquariums that have little water movement are more prone to formation of oil slicks.

Is It Dangerous?
The oil itself may not be dangerous, but it reduces the normal gas exchange that occurs at the surface of the water. That in turn will reduce the amount of oxygen in the water, which is not good for your fish. Furthermore, the underlying cause for the oil may be pointing to a larger problem, such as overfeeding, insufficient maintenance, or even faulty equipment.

How To Get Rid Of It
A quick way of removing the oil slick is to turn off the filters and pumps, and wait a bit for the water to become still. The oil can then be removed by laying a paper towel lightly on the surface for a few moments, then removing it. It may be necessary to repeat the process a couple of times.

Prevention
To keep the oil slick from coming back, make sure you have good surface agitation, perform regular maintenance (including water changes), and make sure your hands are free of lotions. Using gloves when working inside the aquarium will ensure nothing is transferred from your skin. If the oil slick continues to appear, check your filters and pumps carefully for the presence of oil. Faulty equipment has been known to release oil into the water.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote